Author Topic: using ice packs for brining turkey  (Read 1399 times)

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
using ice packs for brining turkey
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
I have a lot of ice packs, the kind that comes shipped with medications, in the freezer, and I was thinking about putting these in the ice chest along with the turkey for brining. Any thoughts on doing this over using ice?
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: using ice packs for brining turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
I have a lot of the same ice packs...  they leak pretty easily and the brine could cause cross-contamination if they come in direct contact.  Probably not a health hazard, as such, but not desirable.  I have my brining tank (a 10g insulated water cooler like ball teams use), a bunch of those ice packs, an XL Zip Loc bag, and some regular ice that I use.  Put a couple ice packs in the bottom.  Insert the zip loc.  Fill with brine and meat.  Carefully insert four more ice packs around the sides of the cooler between the cooler wall and zip lock.  Place a couple ice packs on top of the sealed zip lock and then cover with loose ice.  This can last for a couple days and adding more ice is easy.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
Freeze water bottles.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Limey

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
+1
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.