Author Topic: Smoking chicken wings question  (Read 2087 times)

stout

Smoking chicken wings question
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »
smoking ten pounds of wings tomorrow for my son's boy scout get together in my 3D

i have always done chicken at 250 degrees but i've never smoked chicken wings. and 10 pounds of chicken quarters usually take 2 to 2.5 hours ... but of course they are thicker and bigger than wings

so is 250 still the right temp to use? and about how much time will they take start to finish?

i intend to smoke them earlier in the day then later brush on some sauce and reheat a little in the oven.. can i/should i .. wrap them in foil and a towel and in to an ice check to retain heat like you would with a brisket or a pork butt .. or just allow them to cool during the day before reheating?
chicken we usually just eat right after smoking is done or you know the next day.. never wrapped it before,  but won't have time this time to do it right before

any other bits of wisdom are also very welcome

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking chicken wings question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
For me poultry is always 250, cooked to a minimum of 150. Either embrace floppy skin or finish it on the grill or under the broiler. I would temp a few after an hour at 250 and judge from there if you need to go longer.

They cook quicker and more even if you separate drums and flats. I would temp them all prior to finishing on grill or broiler.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

stout

Re: Smoking chicken wings question
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
For me poultry is always 250, cooked to a minimum of 150. Either embrace floppy skin or finish it on the grill or under the broiler. I would temp a few after an hour at 250 and judge from there if you need to go longer.

They cook quicker and more even if you separate drums and flats. I would temp them all prior to finishing on grill or broiler.

thanks much

yeah they are in drums and flats, were already trimmed that way when i got them. i forgot to mention that in my first post