Author Topic: Pork Belly  (Read 2142 times)

halfghan

Pork Belly
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Hey guys!  New here to the forums, but would love some input if any of you guys have any tips for pork belly.

I've got a few nice (never frozen) 10-15lb bellies coming my way in a few weeks and wondering what I can do with them in my #1.  Would love to make some bacon, or shred up for some tacos, etc.

Anyone done this before? What's your recipe?  Did you cure it first with pink salt and then smoke at the lowest temp?  I dont want to smoke it too hot and melt the fat off..

Any tips you guys have would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:44:39 PM by halfghan »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Belly
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
If those bellies have the skin on when you get them, leave it. It is far easier to remove the skin when they are fresh out of the smoker. This is my standard method for bacon http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0 It is very simple and gives consistent results. This is the best batch of bacon I have made http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2620.0 in it I substituted Cane Syrup for Maple Syrup and increased the smokiness by sold smoking and hot smoking. I am attaching a pic of the Double Smoked Sugar Cane Cured Bellies that I haven't shared before. The chunk of loin in the middle was also double smoked but was cured with Asian Flavors.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:31:33 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pork Belly
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:29 PM »
Wow, Brian!  Been holding out on us with that pic! ;)   Looks really good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!