Author Topic: Prime Rib: How long to smoke?  (Read 6920 times)

cjdavia@gmail.com

Prime Rib: How long to smoke?
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm a newbie and hoping that some of you experienced smokers can give me some advice!

The butcher will be calling later today to pick up a choice standing prime rib, somewhere in the 5-7 rib count range.  Looks to be a heavy cut of beef! 

I'm planning on following Divotmaker's game plan: 200 degrees with a reverse sear.  This is a pricey dinner and I don't want to ruin it, so I have a few questions for you!

1. My guess is we're talking about 10-15lbs of beef... for planning purposes, how long might this take to cook?  1/2 hr per pound?  Or 5 hrs max?  what are your thoughts?

2. Any concerns with cooking this so long and low?  We don't want uncooked food to sit in the danger zone for too long!

3. Should I use large double-chunks of smokelicious our cut them into smaller bits?  Lately I've noticed incomplete burns on the wood and am wondering if I should use smaller pieces for low-temp cooks.

Any help is appreciated!  Can't wait to cook this on Saturday

Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

Re: Prime Rib: How long to smoke?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
OK I just brought the beast home... it is 14.2 lbs.   

Any advice on whether it is safe to cook it at 200 and how long it might take?

Thanks so much!
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Any takers? 

I'm thinking that I'll bump up the cooking temp to 220 and let 'er ride!
Another alternative is to separate the rib component instead of leaving it attached....

decisions, decisions!
Chris
Madison, CT

Walt

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
No problem cooking @ 200. 5 hours sounds a bit long to me. I would expect more in the 3 to 3.5 range. However, I would keep a eye on it regularly throughout considering its price. Follow Divots method, it works well. I would use a mixture if chips, slivers & a small chunk to ensure good smoke production throughout the smoke. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice! 

I decided to keep the ribs on the roast and threw the beast in the SI3D at 8am, thinking it might take about 6-7 hours. If it is done earlier I guess we will keep it wrapped in the cooler and reverse sear it before serving.

My parents are visiting and we are preparing the early bird special for them, expecting to eat around 3:30.

I put a 2.5 oz block of smokelicious cherry on the hot spot, and a 1.5 oz of oak and another .5 oz of cherry, trying to stretch out the smoke. The first half hour had thick white acrid smoke billowing out in puffs. That concerned me, but now we have the sweet light stuff coming out.  Hope I didn’t ruin it!

Thanks again for the advice! 
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
I think you are right.  1.5 hrs into this smoke and we are at 100 degrees.  Can that be right?

I have 14.2 lbs cooking at 200.

We might be done early.  Like 3 hours early.  Can I keep it wrapped for that long before searing and serving?

Argh.
Chris
Madison, CT

Walt

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:16:21 AM »
No problem. You can refrigerate it & sear it prior to eating.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
Yep, should only take 3 hours is my guess. Let it rest while you get all the sides together and such. Then sear that sucker up for a great crust when you are ready.

You are in for a treat.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Thanks, gang!  When it hit 128 took it out and I probed it with my meat thermometer...  it was only at 95!  So I readjusted the si3d food probe and put it back in for a bit.

It just came out but I am a bit scared. It smells way over smoked. I Can’t smell the beef!  I hope I didn’t F this up. .  Argh.
Chris
Madison, CT

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
Hey gang.  I need your help to do a post-mortem on this smoke. My prime rib came out pretty bad, even for prime rib!  It was edible, but oversmoked.... or poorly smoked, perhaps?

There was heavy, slimy smoke around the outside and when I took it out the beef smelled more like ashtray than beef.  I seem to do this a lot with the 3D!  Last week's turkey breast came out the same way.

I did notice a lot of puffs of thick white smoke coming out of the 3D during the first 35 minutes.  It smelled pretty acrid but after 35 minutes it started smelling sweet. At the end of the cook, the wood chucks looked pretty decent -- they were all black, still chunky, very light and a bit brittle. No ash.

Was it because I used a few smaller chunks instead of one big one and they all started smoking at the same time?  Or maybe I should let the heavy smoke burn off for a bit before putting in my meat?

In anycase, I'm still learning the ropes but I am getting frustrated with the 3D.  The wife and kids are about ready to forbid me from using the smoker anymore! I need a quick success.  Maybe I need to drastically cut back on the amount of wood I use?

I would appreciate your advice, as always!

Thank you

PS it took about 4.5 hours to reach 128 degrees... not the 7 hours I had planned for!

Chris
Chris
Madison, CT

TX Gent

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
Sounds like your wood might have caught on fire  ... puffs like a steam engine instead of steady? ... Popping sound from gas off wood burning? ... too much wood or too dry? ... Heat setting way to high early?

Could be any number of issues or a combination of two or more. I've made most of the above mistakes at one time or another just not with $100. worth of meat at one time ... it does add up though

Study what others have done and research within the forum and remember ... less is best in the long run and more is too much in the short run!

Good luck on your next smoke Chris!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Donmac

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Your wood caught fire. I have a 3D also and have had that happen a couple times. The element is going full blast to get the box temp up to the desired temp.

To prevent this from happening I do the following.

1) Notice where the hot spots are in wood box and place the wood in the cooler part of box. Mine is hotter in the back so I put the wood towards the front.

2) Foil the bottom of the wood box. I also wrap the wood with foil except for the tops.

3) Start the smoke at 140 degrees for 30-45 mins then increase to 175 for 30 mins then go to 200 until done.

I hope this helps
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »
Thank you for all the advice.  I am so glad to hear that others have experienced similar smokes, I thought I was going crazy! 

The smoke coming out the top was puffy and white and acrid smelling and it came out in puffs that reminded me of Thomas the Train.

I guess I need to better learn where to put the wood.  I like the idea of wrapping it up in foil.  I think I can also change the settings of the element, so the element can output less than 100%... maybe I set that to 75% or something....
Chris
Madison, CT

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
Yes, you are describing what happens when the wood catches on fire during the first heating cycle.   In addition to the foil methods, you might also want to buy some wood chunks that have a higher moisture content.   I have ordered twice now from smokinlicious.com and have not experienced combustion with their chunks.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
Yes, thank you!

All my wood also comes from smokelicious... we've got some sugar maple, oak, alder, and cherry in the double chunks!

My hot spot is near the front of the burner but I'm thinking that I probably don't understand when to put wood on a hot spot and when to avoid the hot spot.  And also, when to use big chunks and when to use smaller slivers.

Are there some rules-of-thumb to follow? 

I'm also thinking about bumping down the "output hi limit" setting of the auber unit so it doesn't crank up too hot too fast.

I'm scared about smoking some salmon tonight!  :-)

Thoughts?
Chris
Chris
Madison, CT