Author Topic: Brisket - Fat Side Up / Down …. Does it really matter?  (Read 4491 times)

S and M

Brisket - Fat Side Up / Down …. Does it really matter?
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
I have a 10lb brisket going in early morning.  Its all rubbed and resting in the fridge.  A couple quick questions:
1.  Should I let the brisket "warm up" before going directly into the smokin#2?
2.  Fat side up or Fat side down?   Does it matter?
3.  Planning on 225 for about 12 hours then resting.   Do you think that is a good approximation ?

Any and all insight is always appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

Snoopy

Re: Brisket - Fat Side Up / Down …. Does it really matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:39:31 AM »
I have a 10lb brisket going in early morning.  Its all rubbed and resting in the fridge.  A couple quick questions:
1.  Should I let the brisket "warm up" before going directly into the smokin#2?
2.  Fat side up or Fat side down?   Does it matter?
3.  Planning on 225 for about 12 hours then resting.   Do you think that is a good approximation ?

Any and all insight is always appreciated.

Thanks
1. No, cold meat goes in cold smoker
2. Some do fat up some do fat down. I do fat up so it kind of bastes itself. Try both ways and see how you like.
3. That might be close on time. Most figure 1-1.5hrs /lb. You should go by the internal temp of the meat though. I take mine out at 190-192 and double wrap in foil and in cooler with towels to rest for at least 2hrs.
4. There are no perfect rules just general guidelines. Keep track of your smokes and note times and temps and fine tune as you go.
5. Enjoy lazy cue!  ;)
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

jbauch357

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:54 AM »
I'm still new to being successful with brisket, but my last 8lb brisket took 12hrs to hit 190.  Approximating 1.5-2.0 hrs per pound and you'll be looking closer to 15hrs, plus a rest, before yours will be done.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

S and M

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »
Lance/Josh
The brisket went in at 2:15 a.m. fat side up and after 5 hours the temp is 145. 
I'm thinking now I should have plenty of time to let it smoke all day, watch some NCAA Basketball and then have a great meal.   

Thanks for your response.   

Update: Just pulled after 16.5 hours, IT@192  This equates to 1.6 hours per pound, just like you guys said.  Looks great, with lots of juice.   Double wrapped in foil, towels etc letting it rest for at least an hour, more if I don't get to hungry.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:46:15 PM by S and M »
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:24:38 PM »
So how'd it turn out after the rest, Steve?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

S and M

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
Here's the final summary of my 1st brisket.

After a total of 17 hours, I had the best smoked brisket ever.  It was moist, tender and tasted great.  When I asked my wife, what she would do different, she replied, "Nothing, just start it a couple hours earlier."   :-)    The baked beans seen on the plate were placed under the brisket and pulled around 7:00 a.m..   That gave them plenty of time to get exposed the smoke and get some of the meat juices dripping down.    This was a great success.   

I'm off to the store to get some baby back ribs and smoke my first BB's tomorrow…… Can't wait for our Saturday night dinner.
Steve
Arizona
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
Steve,

Looks great!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
You done good Steve!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
Looks fantastic, Steve!  Thanks for the update.  Go the "no peeky" method on the ribs - can't go wrong! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!