Author Topic: Christmas Prime Rib  (Read 34876 times)

sts3d

Re: Christmas Prime Rib
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 12:48:43 AM »
OK. Prime Rib is the next project...... New Years Day should be good.
I'll even smoke the squeal.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 11:33:17 AM »
It's the gift that keeps on giving!  Still have a couple of slices vac-sealed in the fridge... I suspect they won't be there tomorrow! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mizzoufan

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
Well Tony...winter isn't the best time for this, but if you do a prime rib in mid-spring or fall, let me know.  I've cruised 71 a few times as a roundabout way home from bike trips in the Mountain View/Mountain Home area   ;D
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
Well Tony...winter isn't the best time for this, but if you do a prime rib in mid-spring or fall, let me know.  I've cruised 71 a few times as a roundabout way home from bike trips in the Mountain View/Mountain Home area   ;D

No problem, Steven!  I'll let you know when to cruise 71 next time! ;)   Still can't get used to it being "I-49" now!!  Jeez.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
Ok, this inspired me to try a prime rib this year for the family dinner. Here's the first shot...
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
Easy peasy, T!  Got mine dressed-out for a date with the 3D tomorrow! ;)   Should be great (yours and mine)!  Merry Christmas!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

packerbacker

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »
Great info.  Are you letting the roast sit to bring up temo or straight from fridge to box? Merry Christmas!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
Great info.  Are you letting the roast sit to bring up temo or straight from fridge to box? Merry Christmas!
frig to smoker
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 01:07:37 AM »
Here's the outcome of the best damn Christmas Dinner I've ever had. Thank You Divot (Tony) for this! Family absolutely LOVED it!

Preparation:
  • Bought ~7.15 lb boneless prime rib (choice cut) from Sam's Club ($71.16 FYI - $9.98/lb)
  • 2 days before cook I seasoned with garlic powder (light), fresh ground sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. Wrapped in Saran and back in fridge
  • 1 day before cook I unwrapped saran wrap, rubbed with EV Olive Oil (EVOO) and added some more salt/pepper and then I got some (Jim Baldridge's 12 oz. Secret Seasoning) for xmas and added a little bit of it on there also. Left unwrapped and placed meat on smoker rack in fridge on cookie sheet for air circulation.
  • Threw into smoker @200 (till 128 IT reached) around 12:30pm for 6pm dinner. About last 2 hours I had smoker running at 225 because I didn't get it into smoker early enough. 11:30am would have been perfect start smoker time.
  • Reverse seared ~6 mins in 500 degree oven after 128 IT reached.
  • Very tender when sliced. Served with Aus Jus dipping sauce and horseradish sauce on side

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
Tony, what a wonderful feast! 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Beautiful roast Tony!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
NICE, TMan!!  Beautiful-looking meal!!  Crazy how really easy it is to make the best prime rib ever, isn't it?
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 02:41:56 AM »
Thanks all. It was SUPER easy to make and I'll definitely be doing it more often. I just wish the meat wasn't $10/lb.   ;)

This method beat any prime rib I've had at restaurants (high and low end). Now maybe what I need to do is invite some neighbors over for a sample. Then, I can offer to cook it for them (when they buy the meat). I'll do whatever it takes to maximize my new addiction here.  :)

A quote from my mother-in-law at dinner was "I normally don't like prime rib, but I really like this prime rib you made. In fact, I think it's the best you've ever smoked in the past year.". FYI, I've owned my SI2 a little over a year now and they've sampled probably 10-15 of my smokes in that time period. This includes Turkey, Chicken, Ribs, Pulled Pork, Salmon, Bacon, etc...

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
That is high praise for sure. I haven't yet bit the bullet on a prime rib, but have done several sirloin roasts the similar way. One of these days I will spring for one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
I didn't have the right guests for Christmas so I bought the prime rib and saved it for this weekend.  Call it New Year's prime rib.  I figured it would be a great way to start 2016.