Poll

What should I cook for the Super Bowl?

Beef Short Rib Plates
2 (25%)
Whole Packer Brisket
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 03, 2017, 05:20:10 PM

Author Topic: Beef Dilemma  (Read 5040 times)

Grampy

Beef Dilemma
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
I have a dilemma about what to cook for the Super Bowl. I have cooked numerous briskets in my SI#2 with excellent results. I have recently been looking at the numerous posts on this forum about beef short rib plates and it is something that I definitely want to try but have never done. I have found a local butcher that sells short ribs already cut up that is willing to sell me 4 bone plates. I am torn between doing something that I am comfortable with and know will turn out great and taking a gamble on something new but has great potential to turn out just as good. (Providing I don't screw it up).So I have decided to enlist the help of this forum to decide for me. Here are a couple of things to factor in before casting your vote:

#1 - This cook will only be for 2-5 people depending on who shows up.

#2 - Cost is not a big factor considering the 4 bone short rib plates(4-5 lbs each) are currently priced at
        $5.99 lb and are going to cost basically as much (or more) as a whole packer brisket is going to cost.

Feel free to offer any other advice or suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:23:13 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Beef Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:29:59 PM »
Do you have time to throw a plate of ribs in this week? As good as I feel that I am, I hesitate to make a party the first time I try something. If you are eager to try the beef ribs, try to get one under your belt before Sunday.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
If you are serving a bunch of adult refreshments, you might be safe cooking something new. I was also contemplating venturing out to something not tested but I decided to go with a brisket and baked oysters. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:08:49 PM by JustChillin »
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:33:47 PM »
Do you have time to throw a plate of ribs in this week? As good as I feel that I am, I hesitate to make a party the first time I try something. If you are eager to try the beef ribs, try to get one under your belt before Sunday.
SuperDave, No, I don't have time for a trial run before Sunday. At $5.99 I can't afford to practice to many times. Lol
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
I chose a Whole Packer Brisket only because it has the word "Packer" in it. Boo hoo. :(
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
Jimmy, having done both, the short rib plates are not over tough. The cool think is that you will have "dinosaur ribs" to feed your guests. They take a little longer than baby backs since they are bigger but keep the seasonings simple and you will have a feast!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
I chose packer just because you are reasonably confident that you are going to have reproducible results based on your previous smokes.

But, this really depends on your friends and how much you want to be able to impress them.

Do you care if the results are less than optimal?

Will they be paying more attention to the game and drinking beers and not really care that much about the results?

Do they have smoking experience to the point that they would really be able to tell how well the ribs turned out? We are always our own worst critics and notice the smallest things that others will not notice.

Are they OK being guinea pigs for a trial run?

Ultimately, if you friends are like mine, they won't care either way as long as they are getting home smoked meat, get to drink beer, and watch the Super Bowl all at the same time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
i'm the lone beef ribs vote. I think the heck with it and go for it, especially if they are close friends. What not better to do up some great ribs for super bowl. No one remembers who loses the big game, they always remember the winner - and you my friend could be the winner with a great meal!!

haha - hope you have fun with whatever you go with!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
i'm the lone beef ribs vote. I think the heck with it and go for it, especially if they are close friends. What not better to do up some great ribs for super bowl. No one remembers who loses the big game, they always remember the winner - and you my friend could be the winner with a great meal!!

haha - hope you have fun with whatever you go with!

The nice thing about the beef rib plate, is that you might just be serving them something that they have never had before, which is kind of cool.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
The beef rib plate would be really impressive for your guests. And messy caveman food like that is perfect for a football game. Just make sure you allow plenty of time for smoking and resting. Like brisket, it can rest several hours if need be. The downside is that if you end up short on time and rushing it, tough beef ribs are really pretty horrible. It needs enough time to be melt in your mouth tender. Err on the side of caution time-wise.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
If you do decide on the beef ribs, be sure to check for the silver skin like you would find on pork ribs.   I forgot to check the last time I did the beef ribs, and that silver skin is tough to chew!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
True that Steve!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
Ribs...come on guys...finger food.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
I might change my vote to the ribs.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
I vote for ribs.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3