Author Topic: First Smoke Attempt...9.6lb butt...Is my plan good?  (Read 7208 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: First Smoke Attempt...9.6lb butt...Is my plan good?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Tony made a great point about trimming the fat. My Sam's Club butts are pretty much good to go out of the package, so I sometimes forget that others have butts with thicker fat caps on.

Trim the cap to 1/4" and use a mustard binder before adding your rub and you will not want to trim any of what is left (chewy bark) when you remove your butt from the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
I didn't have a lot of external fat ... it was more internal that I was removing when pulling by hand.

I did trim the other side down to 1/4" or so...you can get a glimpse of it in the smoker...

I'll post up a pick of the next one BEFORE smoking to get input on whether I've cut enough external.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  Much appreciated!
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
also - just started another thread here on ideas for feeding 100ish people ... your feedback on that appreciated too :-)
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4966.0
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
Trim if it makes you happy but I never do. I suggest getting untrimmed butts either in cryovac or from the butcher if you don't want to buy the pair.

1. Brine is optional
2. Score the fat cap nearly all the way through with a series of lines making 1 inch squares
3. Rub and smoke as you always do
4. The majority of the fat will render and you will have little crispy squares of bark.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
That butt certainly doesn't look too fat, Jason!  Try the bear claws, when you pull the next one...they'll blend that internal fat into the meat and make it scrumpdidlicious! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!