Author Topic: Pulled Chuck Roast Experiment  (Read 3263 times)

Grampy

Pulled Chuck Roast Experiment
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:16 PM »
I have never made pulled beef before, so today I decided to try something new. I started off with a couple of 3 1/2 lb chuck roasts. I brined them over night in DM's Pork/Brisket brine. This morning I coated them with yellow mustard and rubbed them down with Suckle Busters Competition BBQ Rub. I set the SI#2 at 225 and used 3.65 oz of mesquite. When the chucks hit 155 degrees I pulled them out of the smoker and placed them in a disposable aluminum pan and poured 32 oz of beef both over them and covered the pan with foil. I put them back into the smoker and continued to cook them at 225 to an internal temp of 205 degrees. Once the internal temp hit 205 degrees I double wrapped them in foil and put them in the bottom of cooler stuffed with towels until dinner time. When we were ready to eat I shredded the beef and covered it with my homemade BBQ sauce. It tasted awesome! I still prefer pulled pork but using chuck roast is a good cheap alternative when you want some beef. I will definitely be doing this again.Since I was going by temp I really didn't pay attention to time. The whole smoke from start to finish was approximately 7 1/2-8 hours.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pulled Chuck Roast Experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
I like that, Jimmy!  Creative!  I'll be trying this one.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
I like the looks of that sandwich! Nicely done!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
good job! planning to do a pulled beef this weekend. never had one.

is it necessary to put  it in the pan and broth or could I just continue to cook it? how about a longer brine?
just looking for options and opinions on the ways to do this before I commit! I have a 4.69lb chuck roast waiting for the smoker!
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Tom, chuck is a pretty lean meat and I wouldn't suggest cooking it the whole time without the pan and the broth. It will turn out very dry.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:00:52 AM »
Tom, chuck is a pretty lean meat and I wouldn't suggest cooking it the whole time without the pan and the broth. It will turn out very dry.
thanks Jimmy, makes sense. I figured the foil pan in the smoker would stop the heat flow. doesn't sound like it did it to yours
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Tom, I think a small pan, for a smoke like this, is not going to hurt anything.  Where folks have gotten into issues, with pans, is when they place large pans below the meat, between the "meat and the heat," so to speak.  If you put a large pan below meat you are actually trying to smoke until done, it can cause problems.  In this case, Jimmy smoked it until 155 (which is about all the smoke the meat will "take" anyways), and then, essentially, slow-cooked it the rest of the way in the pan.  If you're into sous vide, you could finish it in a SV bath, too.  The goal, at this point, is to tenderize the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
Hi Jimmy, Looks great! thanks for sharing. I frequently do Chucks for slicing but this is one that I have to try.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs