Author Topic: Chuck roll  (Read 4446 times)

drains

Chuck roll
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:42 PM »
Anyone smoke a chuck roll yet. My local
SAMs club has started selling them and I'm thinking I might have a go at one. They are from 12 to 16 pounds. I figure I could rub one down and,leave it in the fridge a while then smoke it at 235 till the IT reaches 190 and pull it like a pork butt. They were 3.49 per llb. So a little more than the brisket but not as much fat either. 
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Chuck roll
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
Haven't seen chuck rolls, here, Dale.  We occasionally have the 1/4" top sirloin roasts (which are incredible), but I haven't seen the chuck rolls.

Personally, I'd smoke it just like I did this top sirloin roast:

Top Sirloin 1/4-cut

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Howietrek

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
Hey Dale this is Howie from Sunnyvale Texas. Dallas is a suburb of Sunnyvale.
I smoked my first chuck roll about 10 years ago and I haven't smoked another brisket since. I got my first one at SAMs club but Costcos seem to be a little bit better quality. They have gone up in price. $3.00 a pound is about what they are going for. I cook mine to about 200. The reason I do this is because you don't have to worry about burnt ends. You get the whole ball of wax when you take it out. It is the most tender best piece of meat ever. I smoke with pecan but that's just me. Be liberal with your rub and the helps the crispness of the outside. I can't stress enough how good it is. I have a vacuum packer and eat on one for about three months. Best of luck!
Howie

Howietrek

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
The reason I go 200 degrees is because the size of the chuck roll is twice that of a brisket. Unless you have a foot long thermometer it won't reach the center. There is no reason what so ever to inject the meat either. The chuck is a much more porous meat and has fat throughout, unlike a brisket. So you have a 30lb piece of meat self basting throughout the entire cooking process. As That ole boy, David Wade from your neck of the woods use to say; "it is soooooooo gooooood!!!!

Howietrek

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:49 PM »
Since I'm a newbe I wanted to include a picture of my smoker.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
Howie, have you ever done clods?  I have smoked and really like doing beef clods and curious how the chuck roll compares.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
Now if I can just figure out how to get a chuck roll into my SI #2.....  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:46 PM »
Now if I can just figure out how to get a chuck roll into my SI #2.....  ;D

Easy...upgrade to a #3! ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Howietrek

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »
Hey Super Dave,
I have smoked the clod with success. It is a tighter muscle. I do inject the clod when I smoke it. The chuck roll is a more tender piece of meat. But the price does reflect. Kroger has chuck roast for $2.49lb this week. Thie butcher there sales me the whole chuck roll for the same price. I picked up a 31lb one today for $77 plus change. Their meat is just select. However smoking a whole chuck roll it is hard to tell the difference. SAMs and Costco are around $3.40 a pound for choice.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »
Man, I guess finding a chuck roll is going to be my new venture!  Sounds awesome!
Tony from NW Arkansas

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
a 31lb piece of meat? do you have a picture of this monster?
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
a 31lb piece of meat? do you have a picture of this monster?
It gets all its weight in girth, really not any bigger than a brisket but it is a basketball.  Thick as it is wide. 

Howietrek

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
I wrap it in cheese cloth at least over night to get rid of the vacuum pack drool. But that is a 31.7lb bouncing baby chuck roll!

drains

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
Wow! Sams didn't have any that size. I'll check again on Friday. Got my natural curiosity aroused. I may talk to someone in the meat market about how big they can cut them.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
Howie, with the dimensions of a chuck roll, I'm surprised that it gets much smoke penetration.  I assume you pull it and it gets a majority of its flavor from the bark/outside layer?