Author Topic: Questions on First Brisket?  (Read 3865 times)

Papa Rick

Questions on First Brisket?
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
Never ever have I attempted to do a brisket, so a few questions.

1.  Put it on at Midnight, outside temp was 32, meat reading was 50.
2.  4:30 am it was sitting at 162.
3.  8:30 am it is now at 192.

It is a 10.01lb Packer Brisket (I did not know there was a difference) and I put the probe in the center part of the brisket, not sure if this is the correct place or not.  Just concerned if this should be up to 192 after only 8 1/2 hours at 235?

Also have heard about cutting the end off and doing something about the burnt ends and making tips out of this, looking for advice and suggestions on this as well.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have the Model 2.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:30:49 AM by Papa Rick »
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions on First Brisket?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »
If you know you have a good stick on your probe thermometer you need to trust it. Wrap in foil and rest in a cooler for a few hours before you chop off those ends. If you cut your ends off prior to resting all the juice will run out of the brisket like a faucet.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Papa Rick

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks Pork Belly ;D!!  I have another probe and checked it in several places and it read 198 on all of the places I probed.

Papa Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »
Cost was $3.78Lb, it states on the tag, Beef Brisket Boneless Choice.  Is this a good price and is there a difference between Choice?  I got this at Sams Club yesterday and also bought 2 Boston Butts for $1.68 lb.  I noticed most of the Boston Butts were marked at $1.98 lb, and mine and two others were marked at $1.68 lb.  Being new to buying Butts, I asked the Butcher man why there was a difference in price (didn't know if it was soon to be out of date or tougher cut of meat) and he said someone had made a mistake in the pricing of them, which was good for me! ;D

Papa Rick

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »
How long do I need to let it rest in foil, wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler, until I unwrap it and cut it?  Also what is it about the burnt ends, I have heard people talk about doing something different to them?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
If it is a small cooler you should be fine for easily three hours. Personally I like my Q warm but not hot so I would go longer. "Burnt Ends" are typically the dry crusty edges that are to hard to slice. Those bits are chopped, sauced and returned to the smoker to soften and caramelize. With a SI you have a hard time getting true burnt ends due to the way it smokes. More often than not you can slice the entire brisket that comes out of an SI Smoker.

Burnt ends is not a culinary achievement it is a practical solution to salvage over dry meat. Personaly I can live without it.
- Sigmund Freud

Papa Rick

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks Pork Belly!  It is a small cooler, and will go for 3 hours which will put me at 12 just in time for a good lunch.  I appreciate the response about the burnt ends, as I was not sure about this.  For my first one I plan on just slicing it all up and seeing how it goes.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
Sounds like a solid plan. I doubt you have anything dry enough to have to salvage it by they "burnt end" treatment. Be sure to post some pictures.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
"Burnt Ends" are typically the dry crusty edges that are to hard to slice. Those bits are chopped, sauced and returned to the smoker to soften and caramelize. With a SI you have a hard time getting true burnt ends due to the way it smokes. More often than not you can slice the entire brisket that comes out of an SI Smoker.

Burnt ends is not a culinary achievement it is a practical solution to salvage over dry meat. Personaly I can live without it.

That may have been the way burnt ends were invented (not sure of the history), but is certainly not what burnt ends have evolved to, my friend.  I would guess that you've never actually had, what people today, call "burnt ends."

It's really a process, not a way to salvage inedible meat.  The best part of the brisket to do it with is the point, due to the fat content.  The process of cubing a perfectly-cooked point, adding additional sauce, rub, honey, and then re-smoking to turn the little chunks into meat candy is absolutely fantastic.  If you haven't done them, you should try them.  You take properly-cooked brisket and turn it into little chunks of heaven when you coat them, and smoke again to render the fat in the chunks.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about them!  You can also smoke a chuck roast to make them with!  They come out so tender, moist and flavorful, it should be illegal!

They're pretty much a Southern thing, so I definitely understand you not being exposed to them before. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!