Author Topic: New Years Eve Moinks  (Read 2888 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
New Years Eve Moinks
« on: December 28, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
Several folks in my neighborhood celebrate New Years at a neighbor's home, and the neighbor requested that I smoke moinks for the party.  Having not done this is in a while, I thought I better try a practice run.  I tested today with 1.3# of 80/20 hamburger, to which I added a bit of garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, 1 egg, bread crumbs, and a squeeze of Sweet Baby Rays hickory/brown sugar BBQ sauce.  Made the balls around 1.4oz each and wrapped with small sized bacon.  Smoked at 225 for 1.5 hours with 3oz of mesquite, removed and sauced with the Sweet Baby Rays, and then back into the smoker for 30 minutes.   My daughter said they were "da bomb", so I guess I am cleared to prepare these for the party on Thursday night!  For the party, though, I will up the hamburger to more like 3#...lots of people! 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:16:55 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

cogGrease

Re: New Years Eve Moinks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »
Nice idea, I've never heard of moinks up until today. I do make some burgers similar. Cheers, and happy new year!
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
Steve, last year when RG posted these, I tried a couple different versions.  Adding some pork sausage to the hamburger gave it just a little better taste and texture in my opinion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
Thanks, Dave...I was thinking of adding pork sausage to the next batch for the party.   What kind of pork sausage did you use?  Is the Jimmy Dean sausage OK?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:20:37 AM »
I use jimmy dean in the "tube" for meatloaf mixed with 80 20 beef.  No problems at all.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
The JD tubes are 1 pound so 1 tube and 2 pounds of ground beef would be my suggestion.  :)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
Thanks, Dave and John...that's now my plan!  Happy New Years!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
The New Years Eve moinks were a huge success!   I used 2# of 80/20 hamburger and 1# of JD sausage in the tube, which ended up yielding 40 moinks (about 1.3oz meatballs).   The sausage was a real enhancement, and folks raved.  Thanks, Dave for the tip!

Happy New Year everyone!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2