Author Topic: Two briskest in the #3  (Read 3946 times)

IRGoode

Two briskest in the #3
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »
Putting 2 13# briskets in at midnight for a New Years Eve party. Planning on 15 hours at 235. They have been in the fridge all day with the normal beef rub. Equal parts onion and garlic powder, pabrika, black pepper, and kosher salt. Plan to put the temp probe in the bottom brisket and check both when it hits 195IT. All three briskets I have done in this smoker have been great so far but have never done 2 at once. Hope all goes well. Will let you know how it goes. Pictures soon to come. Will be using a water pan 3/4 full. Hope that is enough.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Two briskest in the #3
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »
Sounds like a great plan Bob!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Might take a bit longer to cook since you have 26 lbs of meat in there instead of 13...............just sayin........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

IRGoode

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
Ok. 11 hours in and IT sitting at 185. I used 2 oz cherry and 4 oz hickory. If it tastes as good as it smells it is going to be good. I'll post the exact time it took when it hits 195. Happy New Years!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
Bob,

Let us know what time to stop over for dinner, it sounds great!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
Bob, what was the temp differential between the top and bottom slab? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

IRGoode

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
Not sure Dave. I just have the Maverick probe in the bottom one and I plan to check the IT of the top one when I open the smoker after the bottom one hits 195.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

Walt

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
I cooked 24# of brisket (two 12# flats) in my #2 recently. Set the auber to 225 & to reduce heat to 140 upon reaching an IT of 195. Expecting a continued rise of 5 to 8 more degrees since the heat isnt bled off by opening doors. I checked the box 15 hours later & the cooldown was well on its way. Box temp 140 & IT 165 & dropping. I dont really find an increase in time is required for larger meat loads although I understand the concern. Still between 1 to 1.25 hours per pound for brined & injected bruskets. Briskets were absolutely perfect. One was used for a Santa on the Bayou party where he arrives by boat with a lighted entourage and fed brisket sandwiches with chipolte aioli & pickled onion, serrano & cabbage slaw on fresh baguettes. The other was served in a similar fashion to a cancer infusion center. There were no leftovers & a great deal of compliments. You should have great success, as well. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

IRGoode

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »
Wow! I am surprised. Glad I put the Maverick probe in the bottom one. I pulled the bottom one at 196 IT after 13.5 hours. I guess it shielded heat from getting to the top one because it's  IT was 174. Wrapped the bottom one with foil and a towel and now resting in the Yeti. I'll let you know how much longer the top one takes. Currently setting at 180 IT. Have any of you experienced this before?
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

IRGoode

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »
Greg if you drive fast you may get here by the time this second one finishes!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »
Wow! I am surprised. Glad I put the Maverick probe in the bottom one. I pulled the bottom one at 196 IT after 13.5 hours. I guess it shielded heat from getting to the top one because it's  IT was 174. Wrapped the bottom one with foil and a towel and now resting in the Yeti. I'll let you know how much longer the top one takes. Currently setting at 180 IT. Have any of you experienced this before?
That is what I was expecting. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

IRGoode

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »
The top brisket hit 195 at 15.5 hours. Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!