Author Topic: Question/Suggestion regarding the analog controller probe  (Read 3983 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Question/Suggestion regarding the analog controller probe
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:14:11 PM »
It occurred to me that with so many of you with Aubers are adding the permanent probe toward the way top of the smoker, would it not also be of benefit for Steve to consider moving the probe for the analog controller toward the top of the smoker too?

Along with a an upgrade to a 350 degree thermostat, these could be two relatively inexpensive upgrades that could really be a big benefits.

Just throwing it out there for some discussion.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

1stlink

Re: Question/Suggestion regarding the analog controller probe
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
It occurred to me that with so many of you with Aubers are adding the permanent probe toward the way top of the smoker, would it not also be of benefit for Steve to consider moving the probe for the analog controller toward the top of the smoker too?

Along with a an upgrade to a 350 degree thermostat, these could be two relatively inexpensive upgrades that could really be a big benefits.

Just throwing it out there for some discussion.

Sounds like 2 good ideas Gregg. Not sure why there are no other comments.  :-\

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
There was another thread that discussed the higher degree analog controller question:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2711.msg19369#msg19369

I decided to create my thread here in the suggestions section as it was meant as a suggestion for future enhancements instead of the idea that someone would upgrade their current generation smoker. Since I already have my smoker, as soon as I can afford an Auber, I will just add the Auber and the permanent probe. But, if I was a new user, having this option would definitely be a big plus.

In the previous thread, it was pointed out to me that since the smoker box is good to 350, a 350 degree controller is not a good idea because the nature of an analog controller is that it will occasionally overshoot the set temperature. So, I have revised my suggestion to asking for a 325 degree controller. This seems like the best of both worlds to me, but my suggestion was met with some trepidation. ;) because most users really do not need to smoke at temps higher than 250.

Also, it was thought that if users were given the option to smoke at higher temperatures, they would do so and then complain about the bad results when not used in the right circumstances.

To me the pros outweigh the cons, but it seemed that I was in the minority.

Regarding moving the current analog temp probe, we haven't really had any good discussions on this that I am aware of. There maybe is a reason that it works better in its current position based on testing. But, it just seems like many have recommended that the temperatures are more stable toward the top of the smoker. So, my thought was why not move the analog controller to the top just like we recommend Auber permanent probe installers to use?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Give the smoker as much flexibility as is economically possible.  Don't build for the lowest common denominator.  Let the lawyers apply any legalese to account for those mentally challenged or flat out destructive.  The next generation should have a digital model avaiable that can also go to 350 (may require upgrade to insulation, controller, larger elements & high temp wireing.)  An analog version could be offered as well since that is already dialed in.  With the simplicity of the unit it would be easy to offer these variances.  I am sure Auber would love to supply a controller designed for us to be incorporated into these units.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:51:37 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
My point exactly Walt! I'm glad I'm not the only one ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »
If you believe that there are 3 smokers in our quality bracket, Cook Shack, Smokin-Tex and us, they are all spec'd pretty close to the same performance wise.  No one has been motivated to break the mold.  With Cook Shacks high price point, they'd be the last one I'd expect to make a move.  Steve is apparently making money with the least expensive of the units so he has no real reason to push the limits and take away his price advantage.  It's a business model chess match. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah