Author Topic: 1st Smoke was a Success - 9.5lb Brined Boston Butt with Memphis Dust  (Read 4943 times)

Smokey

My first smoke was a success. After reviewing the site, I decided to try a Boston Butt, since there was little room for error.

I picked up a 9.5 lb Bone In Boston Butt from my butcher, and let it take 10 hr bath in Divot Makers Pork Brine (less the #1 Instacure).  The next morning I woke up, rinsed the meat thoroughly, patted it dry, slathered it with Yellow Mustard and then the salt free version of Meatheads Memphis Dust.  I foil wrapped 3 chunks of hickory weighing it at close to 6 oz, wrapped the wood box in foil along with the bottom and punched a hole with one of the temp probes from the Maverick.  I added a small loaf pan of apple juice tucked up next to the wood box for added moisture.  I hooked up the Maverick 733 to monitor the IT to 195.  Set the smoker at 225.  23 hrs later, the temp was met, I pulled the meat off the smoker, double wrapped in foil then wrapped in towel, into the cooler it went and let it rest for 45 minutes (I couldn't take the anticipation).  The results left me impressed.  The bark was like candy, the bone literally fell out, the pork was moist.   We made sandwiches a few times, and then some of the best pork tacos we had ever had!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:16:54 AM by Smokey »
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 1st Smoke was a Success - 9.5lb Brined Boston Butt with Memphis Dust
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
Wow, that looks awesome!

You followed the process to a tee. I do the same thing, and always get great results.

I highly recommend the Boston Butt for the first smoke for this very reason. You want your first experience to get good, and there is little chance for failure if you follow these easy steps. This is making me hungry for Pulled Pork!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Great job! You described it and did it perfectly for a Butt (no pun intended...lol). I also do it that way. I have to try the Memphis Dust next time. Waiting for the resting to be done is a killer. We all hate that part. I use Jeff's secret rub and it's always good too, but it does have salt. What's next?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
It doesn't get better than that. Great job Smokey!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
Yeah baby!! ;D   Nice job, Smokey!  The Boston butt is my absolute favorite for a first smoke.  Great confidence builder to see how that little jewel performs on a good, long smoke.  Great to have you with us, and I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you!  Kudos on the great pics, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
Thanks Everyone.
Barrel, since this one, I have done a 11lb Turkey and 2 Boston Butts at once totaling 16lbs, I just posted pics today in Bird  and Pork Sections.  This weekend I am planning a pork loin.  Its thawing now, I havent put my game plan together for it.

I also have 2 Briner Jrs on the way any day now, looking forward to working with those vs bags and large pots etc.
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
Unless you are tied to smoking your loin as a roast, you could try making Canadian Bacon. This is my absolute favorite way to use pork loin.

Here are some threads if you are interested:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1077.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1474.0

Smoking at a pork loin roast is great too. Just throwing another option out there for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
This is a good project for loins. The maple loins can be eaten so many different ways, with cheese, as a sandwich or browned like bacon.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2249.msg14934#msg14934
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokey

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
Gregg and Brian,  Thank you for the input.  My mouth is watering looking at both of those.  I just ordered some #1 and #2, for future preps.  For this one, which we will be eating on Saturday, the time is not there for the brines.  However, I am storing this to fall back on a later date when time allows.

Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:17:52 PM »
OK, Chris, since everyone else is hitting you with loin recipes, I guess I'll throw my 2ยข in too!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1864.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:25:27 PM »
Be sure that you need #2 before you use it they are not interchangeable.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
Pork Belly - I will, I bought it online, it was only a few dollars and I was going to pay shipping one way or another. I figured I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum