Author Topic: 4 Racks of Ribs  (Read 6006 times)

Mark C

4 Racks of Ribs
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
Hi All - Going to do 4 racks of baby backs this Friday.  I guess I was just going to do them on 250 for 5 hours with some apple cider in a pan at the bottom.

I was wondering if I should just use the top 2 racks or maybe hang the ribs, although I was concerned they wouldn't cook evenly top to bottom if I hang them.

And also wasn't sure if I should be thinking about 6 hours with 4 racks in the #2.

Thanks!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 4 Racks of Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »
Tops racks,  bone side down, cook at 235 not 250. Check your ribs at 3, 4, 4.5 and 5 hours to prevent overcooking until you get used to your smoker. Six hours will make dog treats.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »
250 is too high in my opinion.

I typically use 235 with 2.5-3.0 ounces of wood with a mini-loaf pan filled with Apple Juice/Cider, Beer, or water next to the smoke box.

I wouldn't hang the ribs. Just put them on the top two racks as high as you can get them in the smoker. If there are meatier racks place them on the lower rack and the less meaty ones up higher.

Depending on how thick they are they "may" take 6 hours depending on how meaty they are and how you like your ribs, but I would start checking them at the 4.0-4.5 hour mark if this is your first attempt. I have had St Louis cut ribs go 6 hours. But, I think the temp in my #3 tends to run a little low and Brian's runs a little hot.

So, like Brian said, start checking early at least for the first smoke. I have never had any that didn't need at least 4.5-5.5, so checking at the 3.0 hour mark seems a bit early for me considering that we want them in the smoker with no peaking for as long as we can. The only time I would check at 3.0 would be if I was using some pretty skinning ribs like the Smithfield ribs that you get at Wally World.

I use big meaty ribs purchased at Sam's Club or Costco and would highly recommend them if you have one of them in your area.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Mark C

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Thanks Guys... much appreciated and I'll keep you posted how it goes.

I've been buying from a local butcher shop, but I may try Costco as well just to compare the difference...

Thanks again!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
I am not sure how big the rack of ribs are, but I cut mine in half to fit on the smoker rack and bone side down.  With four racks, you may need  more than 2 racks in the smoker, but put them on the top slots.  Smoke at 235F will do fine, and I check them at 4.5 hours, which is when I remove and sauce them (this is optional) and then put them back on for the last hour.   I typically pull the ribs at 5.5 hours, but if they are less meaty, then they will likely finish sooner.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
Ditto all of the above!  235 is my go-to temp for ribs.  As far as checking at 3 hours, I think that's too soon for just about any baby backs.  Hold that moisture in the box for at least 4 hours before releasing it to check the progress.  I've never had ribs done in less than 4, and I smoke a lot of ribs.  You'll find your groove on how done you like your ribs, then it's easy after that! 

Also, you'll get the best results laying the flat on the shelves, bone-side down.  Place the shelves as high as possible.

Don't forget the pics! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
Same here, 235 checking at 4 hours, 2-3 oz of wood.  I have been using plain water in my water pan. I let the smoke and the rubs add the flavor. Good luck.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Mark C

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »
Thanks All!

They are all rubbed up and in the fridge... going in the #2 tomorrow around Noon EST for some Halloween treats later on that day... pics to follow...

Mark C

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
Pic of the 4 racks pre-smoke...

Mark C

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
Great suggestions everyone!  Ribs were just about falling apart as I was taking them out of the smoker!

Resting now under foil... another success!

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
Looking incredible, Mark!  Nice job!  Should make for a very happy Halloween! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Well done!   I delivered 3 racks of ribs last night to the neighborhood Halloween party, and I was pleased to see none left and lots of compliments....you just have to love the SI smoker!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rowsteve65

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
Gents,

Posted this question elsewhere in the forum, but this would probably be a more appropriate place to ask it:

I'm brand new to smoking meats, and I just received my new Model 2 and will be seasoning it tomorrow.  I had what might seem to be a dumb question.  I've read about the 2-2-1 method for ribs, and also varying things about either opening or not opening the smoker during the cooking process.  Is it OK to interrupt the smoker operation to spray the meat, put a "mop" on the meat, etc?  Or, as some advice I've read suggests, is it better never to open the smoker until the cooking process is finished?  Are there some meats where it's OK to interrupt the smoke to baste with sauce or spray, and some where it's not?  Thanks, and sorry for the dumb beginner questions.

Steve

Walt

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
A juice pan placed next to the element is all you need for moisture once your prep is complete.  Many here brine and / or inject during prep. No need to mop or spritz.  It is best to leave the unit sealed up until cooking is complete.  Some, including myself,  will quickly open the smoker 30 or 45 minutes prior to completion for ribs & put a light schmear of sauce on.  Some do this after or not at all.  It is best not to open but once you get a few cooks in & get a good feel for how well the SI works. Many of the tried & true methods used with other units dont translate to these.  Leave the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method next to your old smoker by the garbage can.

Find a few well defined cooks on here and replicate them.  After that, you will be ready to incorporate any past personel experience you have.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
This is "Lazy Q," Steve!  No need for all that foiling, spritzing, mopping...etc.  Walt's dead-on - water pan next to the smoke box, and keep her closed up until done!  Moist and tender, every time!
Tony from NW Arkansas