Author Topic: I got a hottie!!!  (Read 2538 times)

slojoe

I got a hottie!!!
« on: July 30, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
Did a second seasoning/fake cook run this morning. Put in a 7lb firebrick, 6oz hickory, 8oz water. Set the controller to max (WAO), heated to 290 before light went off, temp topped 300, temp down to 255, light back on, this went on for 3 cycles, I surmise that this unit has what I remember being called a heavy positive bias. Ain't bad, you can always dial down but you can only dial up so much.

2nd run, put controller to 1 notch below 225, same brick (still not tender), 4oz wood, 8oz water. Did a lot better, heated to 226, pwr off, went up to 248, down to 207 pwr on, up to 215 pwr off, rise to 236 good cycling. Put the controller to 225 and I think thats where she'll stay, off at 244, up to 259, back down to 210, then on.

I think you folks done put me on to something here. 1st cookwill be Fri.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: I got a hottie!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
If it makes you guys happy, test and document all you desire. As for myself I crank the dial to average temp I want then wait for the correct internal temperature on the meat I'm smoking. Without a Auber you will make yourself crazy trying to find the magic sweet spot on your thermostat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

slojoe

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »
As I said, put er on 225 and let it happen

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
Right on, Joe!  It WILL average-out to what you want.  I watched mine on a couple of my early smokes, and never bothered again.  I know it averages properly, because the cook times are right for the set temp.  If you want spot-on accuracy, get an Auber PID.  Analog controllers inherently have temp swings.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

slojoe

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
I'm pretty much satisfied, it cycled about 6-8 times, as long as I got consistency, I can deal with it. Thanks for the advice and support.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
You're welcome, Joe!  Looking forward to your first smoke!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:02:21 AM »
Hey Joe, what kind of rub did you use on that brick?  LOL

All kidding aside, I don't have the auberge (yet), and I don't have a problem with achieving the average temperature.  I don't have any issues with the temp swings.  At the end of the day, I get the same results regardless of stock vs the Auber.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »
Hey Joe, what kind of rub did you use on that brick?  LOL

All kidding aside, I don't have the auberge (yet), and I don't have a problem with achieving the average temperature.  I don't have any issues with the temp swings.  At the end of the day, I get the same results regardless of stock vs the Auber.

...Bet he used some "rock" salt in it! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas