Author Topic: New guy here with brand new #2  (Read 8239 times)

mtmedic

Re: New guy here with brand new #2
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
As far as the #2, nothing could be easier. Love the "set it and forget it". I had a charcoal smoker and never got the hang of it. This is the only way to go.
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »
Hear, hear, Ron!  Welcome to the land of Lazy Q! ;D   You'll find you make a whole lot more Q, now that you have one!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mtmedic

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
I think you hit it on the head, next time will shorten the time. And yes it was dry in that part, but everything else was just right. I agree with the overdone part. Could you lower the temp and still go for that amount of time? Going to order the Auber tomorrow.

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »
Ron, I actually have converted to smoking ribs at 235.  It usually takes me 5 - 5:15 to smoke 3 racks of baby backs.  I find the higher temp makes better bark, shortens the cook time, and has no affect on moistness.  The Auber really helps maintain that constant temp.  If you feel it necessary to take 6+ hours, I suppose you could lower the temp, but I think you may have a softer bark.  Not sure, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

mtmedic

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
Thank you DivotMaker for all your help. It is a learning lesson. I don't need to go six, but I was just wondering. I got that time from here. Good thing is, you can eat your mistakes. I will go with your advice and go with 235 and check at five. I was told my the wife that this is much better than all my previous smoking attempts with charcoal. Its not much, but its a start. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
You're very welcome, Ron!  The journey to what I call "Q-vana" is most of the fun - especially with some friends along the way! ;D   Glad to have you on board!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
I recently started prepping my ribs the night before letting them sit in the fridge all night, cold smoker cold ribs 235 for 5 hrs. 3 oz. cherry 2 mini loaf pans apple juice and they come out about the same every time don't miss the foiling and all the other tricks you read about, let em rest 15 minutes or so, I think they slice better, a lite sauce and perfect every time!!
Jim from Minnesota

mtmedic

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
Jim, that sounds really good. I think I went too long. I couldn't find mini loaf pans at wally world, so I used two ramkins filled with apple juice. It takes awhile to get everthing together, but I'm learning.

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »
Great point, Jim!  Gotta prep the ribs the night before, wrapped in plastic in the fridge to get "happy!" ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
Ron your off to a good start. Those ribs look tasty. Look at the grocery store where they have the disposable roasting pans, that's where I found the little foil pans.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud