Author Topic: Big Smoke this Weekend - Logistics  (Read 5662 times)

tankca

Big Smoke this Weekend - Logistics
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »
I've had the Number 2 for little over a month and have done ribs, brisket, pork loin, butt, ABT's, prime rib, meat loaf, bratwurst and chicken with great results. Still a newbie and need help.  This coming weekend will be the real test, 20 people.  Need to know if I am biting off more than I can chew :).

I need to have dinner ready by 7pm give or take but not too much either way.

Plan is to do 6 baby back rib racks (20 lbs. total) followed by chicken pops (drum sticks), tri-tip and wild pig sausage.  First question is can the #2 handle this much (6 racks)?  Second question, timing?

My plan is to do the ribs 5 hours no peak, start at about 10 am till 3pm and wrap them in foil and put into a warmer.  Restart the smoker and re-load with ABT's, chicken pops, tri-tip and sausage for 2 1/2 hours which takes me to about 5:30.  Wrap the tri-tip and chicken pops in foil and into the warmer until dinner is served. I'll make sure to pull the tri-tip at 125 degrees.

Serve the ABT's as appetizer's at 5:30 and hold the rest for dinner. 

The ribs would be holding in a warmer for 4 hours and the chicken pops, tri-tip and sausage for 1 1/2 hours.

Do you see any problems with this or have suggestions?

Thanks so much.... 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:00:11 AM by tankca »

tankca

Re: Big Smoke this Weekend - Logistics
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
..and by the way, smoked 2 batches of Copper River Salmon a couple weeks ago and will be serving as an appetizer as well. My beautiful daughters 26th birthday ;D.

I really like the Smokin-it so far.  My wife says I'm obsessed.  Food, wine and family...not in that order.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
..and by the way, smoked 2 batches of Copper River Salmon a couple weeks ago and will be serving as an appetizer as well. My beautiful daughters 26th birthday ;D.

I really like the Smokin-it so far.  My wife says I'm obsessed.  Food, wine and family...not in that order.

Obsessed! I prefer to use the word "addicted."

When I first picked up my smoker and started using it, my wife was jealous because my new toy got more attention than she did. But all is good once she tasted the good ol' Q that the SI produces. Before you know it, you will be the talk of the town.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
Have you considered doing a low heat smoke on the chicken, sausage and tri-tip the day prior to the party? That would allow you to finish them direct heat on the grill in the last hour of your smoke. That prevents a four hour hold on the ribs and has everything hitting the table fresh.

I would let the tri-tip come to room temp before starting the sear on the grill.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »
I agree with Brian, do your chicken sausage and tri tip the day before and finish on the grill, a 5 hour smoke and 4 hour hold wrapped in foil will be to much for the ribs. Check your ribs at 4 1/2 hours then get your other other items ready to go if your ribs are done pull em and put in the oven to keep warm if not let em go for another hour or so. I've done ribs and chicken many times the combo of the smoked chicken with crispy grilled skin is awesome, good luck on your party!!
Jim from Minnesota

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:52:31 AM »
I think you are going to have tight fit to get 6 racks of BB ribs in the #2, but weight wise the #2 should be able to handle it...I just don't know about placement on the racks.  Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
I have cooked 9 racks (almost 30 lbs) @ once useing the rib rack on top in the 2.  Tight fit but very doable.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

tankca

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
I don't have a rib rack so to get 6 racks into the SI, I will need to fit 3 half racks on each SI rack.

I'm rethinking the approach and might just do the ABT's, chicken pops, sausage and tri-tip first and the ribs last.  I guess I could also do all that on a standard bbq and not use the smoker.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
He didn't mention that he had a rib rack so I don't think that is an option for this party. However I don't see why he couldn't stand his racks on edge, secured to each other with long bamboo BBQ skewers.  The skewers just keep the racks from tipping over. It would likely be a two person job getting it all loaded but that's what kids are for.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Use 4 grates trim just enough off your ribs so they fit I leave mine at about 16 inches, the trimmed ends you can put on a fourth grate, watch these as they may get done a bit sooner than the full racks, rotate top to bottom half way through the smoke.
Jim from Minnesota

Walt

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
The rib rack holds 3.5 racks.  However, each normal shelf will hold 4 half racks (but not 2 whole racks, oddy enough).  So, 5 shelves with 2 racks per shelf (cut in half) = 10 racks with no rib rack.  I have the rack but I believe its not necessary.  With the rack in & 4 shelves you could smoke 11 1/2 racks.  Or, only use the 4 shelves that came with it & smoke 8 racks.  Your choice.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

tankca

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 02:03:10 AM »
I ended up smoking the chicken pops tonight and put them in the fridge, I'll finish them off by dipping into a bbq glaze and let them finish on the weber until just before dinner.  I plan to smoke the ABT's and wild boar sausage for a couple hours in the morning along with the tri-tip to about 125 degrees and then put into the fridge.  Ribs go in next for 5 hours and I'll just throw the chicken, ABT's and tri-tip on the Weber to warm up before dinner.

Hope I didn't bite off too much.

mnsmoker

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:06:45 AM »
Somewhat ambitious to say the least but it sounds like you got it under control, your guests will be amazed, be sure to update us on the final results with pictures.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
Sounds like you've got a handle on it, Tank!  The pops look fantastic. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tankca

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
Thanks,

the ABT's, tri-tip and boar sausage are in the smoker now.