Author Topic: Brisket Q  (Read 1950 times)

mikeinctown

Brisket Q
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
Picked up a brisket the other day and am going to toss it in the smoker. It is a 10lb brisket and the size is very close to taking up the whole rack if I go diagonal.

Should I halve the brisket so I get better airflow around it? just worried about drying out the flat. I plan to cook as hot as the thermostat will go, about 250. Otherwise I am afraid I am in for another 18 hour day like I had the last time I make a pork shoulder.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brisket Q
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
If it doesn't block the entire shelf, you should be OK if it's just up against the corners.  It'll shrink pretty quick, so you should be fine.  Whole is always better, if it'll fit.  I'd maybe set at 240.  One thing you don't want to do is cook brisket too fast.  This is such a tough cut, it really needs the low and slow approach - no matter how long it takes.  Just plan for 2 hours per pound, and hope it's done sooner!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Regarding the long time. Put it on at night, let it cook while you sleep.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
I did slabs of bacon that were within 1/2 inch of the ends without a problem. I think the heat in the the SI is very even compared to other smokers I have used. I don't have issues with dry or overcooked ends.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud