Author Topic: How do you store your smoker? Open or closed?  (Read 2914 times)

richard

How do you store your smoker? Open or closed?
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:10:45 AM »
New #2 owner.

I store it outside. But should it be open or closed?

Closed seems to not let the moisture out, but open, I’m afraid animals may get in.

Finally, it is very hard to close. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

richard

Re: How do you store your smoker? Open or closed?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:14:01 AM »
Just wanted to add:

I'm lazy when it comes to cleanup.

AND, I've had the smoker a few weeks but already made pastured pork butt, turkey breast, and yesterday a grass fed ribeye steak.

The turkey breast I injected with a brine consisting of apple juice, sugar and salt...it came out awesome.

The ribeye was last night (since we got our Maverick thermometer) and it came out absolutely perfect.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
I keep my #2 on the back deck, closed, and covered when not in use.   I would recommend getting a cover for the smoker if you don't have one already.    The latches can be a bit tough to lock in when you close the unit, but this may work itself out over time.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
Richard, I store outside with a cover.  Just let the unit completely cool, remove the foil and wipe the excess grease from the bottom, and close it up tight.  The door latches are supposed to be tight; the door seals with a friction fit (no gasket), so they are designed to apply pressure to the door.  You'll get the technique down with a little practice! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Cleanup may be boring... But spend some time cleaning it else mold and that is no treat.

Grates every smoke.
Re- foil every other use.
Puddly knife to scrape away excess, clean up outside, organize wood chips, etc. monthly or so.
Yearly I think I will get it as new with some easy off (careful to not get element) and re season.

That's me. I'm mostly lazy... But must do grates. Also always foil. I tried it once without... Cleanup not so fun... Needed easy off... Blah.

Pretty easy... But must use foil.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

richard

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
thanks for the tips. Foil, yep. Cover, just got it, it's great. My wife laughed at the camo.

Keeping it closed when not in use -- thanks.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »
I always keep mine closed and covered.  If you have a covered area, the you can get away without covering.

I once did a smoke which lasted 22 hours which went through the night and the next morning I notice raccoon paw prints on the smoker. Lucking he didn't get it open.

Next time I with get a forensic expert to come over and take some paw print and put up some "wanted" posters in the neighbourhood to catch the little bugger.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It