Poll

making ribs for the first time

best options for first rib smoke
1 (100%)
best wood types to use to accent flavor.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: my model 1 just shipped!  (Read 7469 times)

greg7878

Re: my model 1 just shipped!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
it is very nice and shiny at the moment.  i like the note on the receipt from Steve as well.  i'll have to register it before i forget.  ribs for sure this weekend, possibly even bacon wrapped ones.
greg7878

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 05:14:10 PM »
Get ready for some great Q!   Welcome aboard.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

greg7878

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »
how hot does the outside of the smoker usually get?  i have read that it doesn't get hot at all but mine is really hot while i'm seasoning it, can't touch it without feeling like i'll get burned.  is this normal or is it because i'm seasoning it with no meat in there?  i was going to put the meat thermometer on the top while smoking but i think it might get burned or melt if i do.  it's really hot, top and sides.  i'm hoping this is normal during first use.
greg
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »
how hot does the outside of the smoker usually get?  i have read that it doesn't get hot at all but mine is really hot while i'm seasoning it, can't touch it without feeling like i'll get burned.  is this normal or is it because i'm seasoning it with no meat in there?  i was going to put the meat thermometer on the top while smoking but i think it might get burned or melt if i do.  it's really hot, top and sides.  i'm hoping this is normal during first use.
greg

It is normal for it to be really hot while you season it and it is empty, but after that with food, warm.

Except for the hole where the smoke comes out.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
If you have the smoker in direct sunlight, cranked to 250, it will get pretty hot to the touch - but more from the external, rather than internal heat.  I keep mine on a covered porch, and they're never more than warm to the touch, even at 250.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

greg7878

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 02:01:31 AM »
i have it on a covered, screened in porch so it's in a little bit of direct sunlight.  i'll try and put it in another corner and see if that helps.  didn't think of the sunlight warming it up. 
Greg
greg7878

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »
I have found that the sun creates more heat on the smoker than the smoker itself.   Without sun, it never gets passed warm.  With direct sun light, I don't touch the top!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2