Author Topic: Smoked Atomic Buffalo Turns (ABT’s)  (Read 5093 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Atomic Buffalo Turns (ABT’s)
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Since I have never made ABT's before I though I would make some tonight. The plan is to have them for appetizers and then share a few with my friends next door. I plan to put them in around 2:00 and pull out around 4:00 this afternoon.

Smoked Atomic Buffalo Turns (ABT’s)
Ingredients
8 oz. cream cheese
2 oz. grated cheddar cheese
½ hotdog cutup long way (8 slices)
¼ t. garlic powder
½ t. Sriracha sauce
3 Jalapeno peppers sliced long way, seeds removed
4 mini sweet peppers sliced long way, seeds removed
1 lb. bacon
BBQ spice (whatever you like)
Wood
2 oz. wine barrel oak chunks

Directions
In a bowl mix cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and Sriracha sauce. Add hotdog slices to a few of the peppers, fill with cheese mixture. Wrap the peppers in bacon, secure with a toothpick and then sprinkle on BBQ spice.
Place in smoker on the upper racks and set smoker to 250 degrees, smoke for 2 hours.

*Note I had enough for about 2—3 more Jalapenos

Greg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:20:00 PM by gregbooras »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoked Atomic Buffalo Turns (ABT’s)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
Ready for the smoker!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
They turned out really great, the spice level was perfect. Next time I will skip the hotdog in the ones I did, but they still tasted good.

Greg

gmr3

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
Hi Greg,

I've tried making ABT's a few times, and I've never been happy with the results.  I think a lot of has to do with the bacon.  When I pull them out of the smoker, the bacon is not as well done as I like (like my bacon crispy not chewy). 

FYI, the recipe I followed called for lil smokies instead of hot dogs.  Here is the recipe I've tried:

Ingredients
• 10 jalapeno peppers
• 10 bacon slices, cut in half
• 10 mini sausages or smokies (or 20 if they are very small)
• 1 cup cream cheese
• 1 cup grated monterey jack
• 1 tsp chipotle or chili powder
• 2 shallots, minced

Instructions
   1. Slice the jalapenos lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and membrane. If using bell peppers, quarter them after they are seeded.
   2. Mix the cream cheese, monterey jack, chipotle powder and minced shallots. Fill the hollowed out portion of the peppers with the cheese mixture.
   3. Place the smokie on top of the cream cheese. Wrap the half slice of bacon around the jalapeno. If the bacon is not staying tightly wrapped, it may be necessary to use a toothpick to hold it in place.
   4. Smoke the ABTs in the smoker, set at 225F, for 2-3 hours, or until the bacon is browned

Credit to: http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/03/atomic-buffalo-turd-jalapeno-poppers-aka-a-b-t/

Anyway, thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:47:37 PM by gmr3 »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
gmr3, I have good luck cutting my bacon and then placing it in the microwave for a minute or 2.  If I get the bacon warmed and translucent, I can still wrap with it and I get a crisp end result. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gmr3

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
Thanks for the tip SuperDave - I'll definitely try that next time!

LuvMyQ

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
I was hoping I would find someone who had done these in an SI.  I had tasted them a few years ago and was hooked.  I have done them on my Weber Kettle and Weber smoker.  But now it is time to do 40 of them on the SI for a party tonight.  I was concerned about the bacon crisping up.  I will try the microwave truck.  I may try at 250 also. 

BTE, I use the Eckridge Smoky links in them.  If the peepers are bigger, I use 1/2 of the Smoky link.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

raymillsus

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »
I am glad i came across this post. I usually do ABT's with pulled pork i have left over but I am out. I did not want to smoke a butt just for ABT's. I used cheddar in mine as well. I like the idea of the little smokies. I think I have my treat for the brew club event tomorrow night.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.