Author Topic: No smoke produced  (Read 2499 times)

Bisonlvr

No smoke produced
« on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
Used my 4D for the first time this past weekend.  Made 25 pounds of summer sausage.  My recipe stated to start at 130 for 3 hours then bump temp to 165 until internal temp of product hits 145.  No smoke was made at either temp.  I also had a stall at 133 in the meant so i bumped up temp to 200. Smoke finally started and meat came to temp but with very little smoke flavor.

What is the minimum temp that the smoker can be set and still produce smoke?  PS, i started with the chunks that came with unit, then switched to pellets. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Walt

Re: No smoke produced
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
Never use chunks for low temp smokes. Chips,slivers, pellets, etc anything with a lot of surface area.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Bisonlvr

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
Never use chunks for low temp smokes. Chips,slivers, pellets, etc anything with a lot of surface area.
I did use pellets but no smoke even with pellets until the temp was increased to 200.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »
I am a bit puzzled by this, you should have had smoke. What was the amount of pellets used and were they fresh and dry?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Bisonlvr

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »
They were fresh and dry. I used 8 oz as recommended. I made jerky since posting this originally, and did get smoke at 170-180; then backed down the temp. Smoke is not being generated lower than 170

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
I would check the element for cracks and the fire it up for just a couple of minutes without the wood box and see if it has a relatively uniform color or glow when hot and no dead areas. If all is well give Steve a call or shoot him an email.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus