Author Topic: Chuck Roast input wanted  (Read 5240 times)

goocher5.0

Chuck Roast input wanted
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
Hey all, hoping you had a nice thanksgiving holiday. I'm going to buy a 6-7 pound chuck today to put into the smoker on Sunday. I'm hoping for some guidance on what I should look for as an IT, and temp to set at. My plan is to inject tomorrow with an au'jus sauce, rub with granulated garlic, and then montreal steak seasoning. My goal is to cut into thinner slices when it's done and put on a hoagie with sautéed veggies for a cheese steak meal. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Chuck Roast input wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
IMO, you are using the wrong cut for your intended use.  A chuck roast wants to be smoked closer to a pot roast texture than sliced.  I'd probably pick something like an eye of round or sirloin roast for what you are try to do. 

If you cooked your chuck until it was pulled, I think you'd get a great sandwich.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
What you are shooting for would be better accomplished usring the Anova (sous vide). A 3 or 4 day swim @ 131 would give you that feaux prime rib feel that you could slice thin. If you want to add some smoke, drop it in the smoker for a couple of hours @ 200 (or you could cold smoke it) & then into the souvide. Otherwise, its a great piece to par smoke then braise for raost beef sandwich. Find an option that fits the vision you desire as the end result. One is cooked medium the other is cooked until it's falling apart.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Otherwise, its a great piece to par smoke then braise for raost beef sandwich.
This is how I smoke/cook my chucks. 

goocher5.0

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
IMO, you are using the wrong cut for your intended use.  A chuck roast wants to be smoked closer to a pot roast texture than sliced.  I'd probably pick something like an eye of round or sirloin roast for what you are try to do. 

If you cooked your chuck until it was pulled, I think you'd get a great sandwich.
Hey Dave what IT should I shoot for to pull it? 195? Smoke at 225?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Smoke it for 2 - 2.5 hours at the 225 and then cover with foil in a pan with some braising liquid.  Go to the 195 and test with a fork for tenderness.  This method also gives you some great au jus if you want to dip your sandwiches. 

goocher5.0

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
Thank you. Will update with results on Monday !

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »
I’m no where near as experienced as these wonderful people but I’ve been makin chuck roast burnt ends with great success for my past 3-5 smokes and I pull it when my chuck hits 185 and it’s tender yet tough enough to hold up cutting through without falling apart. I know you’re slicing yours where I’m chopping mine but 6 in one half dozen in the other. My burnt end method is very smiliar to the steps you described except of course the cutting method at the end. Think you should be good at 185. Good luck and happy smokin!   ;D
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

Walt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
Sounds like another good option.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

goocher5.0

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
I’m no where near as experienced as these wonderful people but I’ve been makin chuck roast burnt ends with great success for my past 3-5 smokes and I pull it when my chuck hits 185 and it’s tender yet tough enough to hold up cutting through without falling apart. I know you’re slicing yours where I’m chopping mine but 6 in one half dozen in the other. My burnt end method is very smiliar to the steps you described except of course the cutting method at the end. Think you should be good at 185. Good luck and happy smokin!   ;D
Thanks for the tip, that sounds like another great option. I'm getting ready to inject the roast and lather up with the garlic and McCormicks. I'm excited to smoke this chuck, I think either pulled or sliced it should be very good. I ended up finding myself a nicely marbled one yesterday as we're cutting a bunch of rolls, Chuck Roast is 2.99 a pound this weekend. I ended up cutting myself a 12#er. Not going in until after 1pm tomorrow, so I'm guessing eating on Monday.

goocher5.0

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help and tips they gave to me. The roast came out great. I decided to pull the beef for shredded sandwich's. Very nice flavor.

Sirsmokesalot

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
Glad it came out good for you! I’m spoiled I have a family run meat market right down the street from my house and get my chucks cut right there off a huge hunk of beef to whatever I want. You should try my burnt end method for something different I posted the recipe on here my wife LOVES those. Anyways glad you’re here and don’t be shy all these people are awesome! Welcome to the family!  ;D
Jeff from Philadelphia, s1 owner and BBQ lover

goocher5.0

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:10:08 AM »
Glad it came out good for you! I’m spoiled I have a family run meat market right down the street from my house and get my chucks cut right there off a huge hunk of beef to whatever I want. You should try my burnt end method for something different I posted the recipe on here my wife LOVES those. Anyways glad you’re here and don’t be shy all these people are awesome! Welcome to the family!  ;D
I will definitely try that method, it looks very good! Having a nice market where you can get custom cuts is a very good option to have. Especially when you're smoking the meat. I'm very happy to have found this website, and forum, thanks to all for making me feel so welcome here!

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Here is another version of smoked chuck.  It comes from a very good source of gourmet cooking, just not dedicated to smokers.  I'm going to try it next week as my local market has a good quality Angus chuck on sale.