Author Topic: Storing the smoker outside  (Read 1616 times)

yiplong

Storing the smoker outside
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:12:33 PM »
The top of the smoker being a large, flat area poses a problem when the unit is stored outside.
 Rain water tend to pool instead of rolling off.  Even though the cover is heavy duty, I still find the top of the smoker a little wet after heavy rain.  Do you find this to damage the smoker after a while?  Maybe I should put something on top of the smoker to make the top less flat? 

Lonzinomaker

Re: Storing the smoker outside
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
I put a large garbage sack over the smoker and cover. Makes a cheap replaceable cover.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:52:13 PM »
Put something down on the smoker that will provide a way for rain to roll off, a brick or something. Then the cover and then the trash bag and you will have a great set up.

I have a cover from Coversandall - it’s made out of sunbrella, so breathable and waterproof. I have three of these covers, for my gasser, Weber kettle and the 3D. Two of the three are completely under the patio but my gasser is exposed and the cover is holding up well after three years.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »
My smoker is covered under a patio so I don't have that problem.  You could tilt the smoker slightly by setting the back (or front) wheels on a brick or something so that water runs off.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

hvacgaspiping

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:01:01 PM »
The top of the smoker being a large, flat area poses a problem when the unit is stored outside.
 Rain water tend to pool instead of rolling off.  Even though the cover is heavy duty, I still find the top of the smoker a little wet after heavy rain.  Do you find this to damage the smoker after a while?  Maybe I should put something on top of the smoker to make the top less flat?
I`ve had my #2 for 4 years and the cover just wore out.  Just being exposed to the elements, especially morning sun shining on it is what wore it out.  My smoker sits on my front porch but is mostly out of the rain (some blowing rain hits it at times).  At $80 it seems a little expensive to last only 4 years....  My new cover is supposed to arrive tomorrow.