Author Topic: what does the numbers  (Read 3599 times)

bighoss

what does the numbers
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
hi iam new here and wanting to know what the numbers mean like 2-2-1 and so on as iam new to the electric smokers

shomesmoke

Re: what does the numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
The numbers are the amount of cooking time used for smoking pork ribs. 2-2-1 is a starting point for BB ribs 2 hours in the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil in the smoker, 1 hour back in the smoker with foil removed. 3-2-1 is popular with spare ribs. Go to the recipes section and look at the pork section there are many posts there that refer to these cooking methods.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:18:30 PM by shomesmoke »
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »
Welcome to our little party, Bighoss!  Shomesmoke is spot-on as to what the numbers mean, but let me add that those methods were designed mainly for the charcoal and stick-burners out there.  What you'll find with an efficient unit like the Smokin-It, is that those methods just aren't so necessary.  Many of us that started out trying to use these smokers with the same methods as the "traditional" smokers have found that the whole wrapping/unwrapping thing just isn't needed.  You'll find you can smoke most things naked (the meat, not you), and it'll come out moist and tender - and with a good bark - every time.  These are truly "adventures in NOT babysitting!" 

I'll get some grief from members who swear by the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method, and that's OK.  The key to this is find what works best for you!  If you like to be active in your smokes by wrapping and unwrapping, go for it!  If you find that you like the results of cooking unwrapped the whole time....go for it!  Lots of advice here, so find what works best for you and suits your personal tastes! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »
Welcome from Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
I have been converted to the 5 hour smoke for babyback ribs rather than the 2-2-1 method!   Last weekend, I did 3 racks on my #2 after a rub the night before, and this time I tried a small can of apple juice in the bottom of the smoker.   After 4 hours, I removed the ribs and applied BBQ sauce, then back on the smoker for another hour to finish up.   Although I want to test this again, I think the ribs were more moist than previous smokes without the can of apple juice.   I also like the nice bark that I am getting without using the 2-2-1 method.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
Anybody tried the 6-1-5 method?  Buy a 6 PACK, open 1CAN and put it in the cooker, sit and watch while you drink the OTHER 5.

Not sure if helps or not, but I've always shared a beer with my cooker.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
Sorry rickne, I am a 12-1-11. However, when  my friends hear that I am smoking food, I need the 24-1-23, sometimes the 48-1-47.  ;)
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »
I think Rick's gonna fit right in around here! ;)   We already know Bob does, especially with that kind of advice! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
Haha.  As long as you share atleast one with the smokin hot ladie sitting next to you.  Its like an offering to the bbq gods.  I'm more of a whiskey guy anymore.  That JD is way to spendy to share with my smoker.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID