Author Topic: Workshop Smoker  (Read 2137 times)

NKoehler

Workshop Smoker
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:59:39 PM »
It rains often where I live and I don't have a covered area anywhere outside. I wanted to use my 2D more so I turned my shop into a rainy day smoker room. I picked up a vent hood for $12 and mounted it in front of a window in my shop. When I want to smoke I just open the window enough to mount the damper/exhaust duct and seal the window gaps with some foam strips.

I used it today for the first time, not because it was raining, but because I was doing a long cook. I didn't want to leave my smoker in the driveway overnight. It worked perfectly.
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

Lonzinomaker

Re: Workshop Smoker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
Give yourself room to put the smoker on a cart. It is so much easier to use when the smoker is elevated to table height.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

NKoehler

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 02:30:51 PM »
As a tall dude I'd love to have the smoker on a cart but the smoker and cover ate up my budget this year. Maybe next year!
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »
There are a few 2 drawer filing cabinets that are wide enough to put a smoker on top of. They make a good stand.  Casters can even be mounted on bottom. Pics are a couple I've done
Dave
Spokane, WA

NKoehler

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:18:35 PM »
The filing cabinet is a great idea and I might do just that. It would be handy to keep my wood chunks and other related accessories close by.

Did you reuse the casters from the smokers or supply your own? Are the tops of the cabinets reinforced at all?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Nick from PA
2D
Weber Kettle

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 11:42:45 PM »
I did one with the smokin-it casters, but decided to get bigger ones at HF. Rolls over the cracks easier on my wood deck. The one I did with the wheels gets moved from a deck to a back storage shed across a lawn.
I just used washers to reinforce the top where I drilled holes to bolt the top down. The SI uses metric threads for the casters. I just took the casters into the bolt store and asked them to match it.
I built a frame out of aluminum angle for the base, the cabinets weren't strong enough to support the weight on their own.
Dave
Spokane, WA

Smokin Jon

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 09:57:03 AM »
I use a Harbor Freight utility cart.  I cut it down 4 inches to get it at a height that works for me.