Author Topic: 4 smokes completed. All 4 deep white/yellow thick smoke  (Read 1705 times)

Duder

4 smokes completed. All 4 deep white/yellow thick smoke
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
I'm getting a little frustrated here as a new smoker. I have purchased 4 different kinds of chunk wood from 2 different stores. All 4 types have burned 70-100% of the wood. Using pecan, apple, hickory and oak. The last smoke I yanked out the damn wood and used pellets in my bella cold smoker attachment. This is definitely not what I had in mind when reading the reviews on the smokin-it.

I place the wood towards the back wall of the wood burner where I read that it's the coldest. I placed foil in the box burner under the wood chunks on the last run and it still combusted. The meat is definitely getting coated with creosote each time.

I read somewhere that wrapping the wood itself in foil is an option but that seems so ridiculous to have to fuss with for a premium smoker.

Going insane over here guys lol.

Paul B

Re: 4 smokes completed. All 4 deep white/yellow thick smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:04:33 PM »
I would try cutting waaay back on the amount of wood.
I usually use wood picked up from the woods, dead trees, so no idea of greenness or water content. The only time I've had a creosote taste is with too much wood. Live and learn.  Never any yellow smoke, only white and light blue.
Once your smoker gets seasoned cut back on wood.  I've actually smoked with no wood and had good smoke flavor.
Don't give up, everything has a learning curve, some harder than others.
Paul B

lcdearman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:30:51 PM »
I’ve had trouble with some big box store pecan I bought. I have a #2 analog. I now use a chip screen with aluminum foil underneath it with no holes poked in it. I am using Smokinlicious wood and I get 90-100% charcoal with the wood placed anywhere in the smoke box.

That pecan created horrible thick white/yellow smoke that smelled bad and I too yanked it out before it ruined my cook.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 11:59:33 PM »
When I first started smoking with my 3DW I had a similar experience the first couple of smokes, bitter meat. Nobody wants that. Like you I was frustrated. I came to the forum and used the advice I received from some seasoned veterans of Lazy Q. The first thing I did was make a couple of foil boats out of heavy duty food service aluminum foil. I used some large sheets approximately 18”X18” and folded them over and then over again to make a 9”X9” square four layers thick. I used a ruler to fold the foil over to make sides and ends for the “boat” about a half inch tall. I place these boats in the wood box and place the wood chunks inside. I also ramp up my heat when starting the smoker. I go to 150 and after 10-15 minutes there I increase to 200. When the smoker reaches 200, I then increase the heat to the final smoking temperature. Which is usually 225. Using these two processes has produced great smoke flavor with absolutely no bitter taste. When the cook is over and the smoker is cool I always have chunks of charcoal remaining. The only time I have any ash are with long cooks such as with brisket and pork butt, 12 plus hours. I would recommend giving this a try. It has not failed me yet. For the record, I have only made the boats once and they have lasted multiple cooks and yet they are still in very good shape. Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:02:09 AM by OldeSmoker »
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Duder

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:41:17 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll give the suggestions a try for the foil boat, and see about reducing the wood.

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:54:06 AM »
How much wood are you using?

Also, you mentioned this, but when you did your initial burn, what did those chunks look like and where in the smoker box were the chunks different - charcoal vs. ash? I find the back and middle are a bit cooler in my 3D, and I also avoid placing the wood chunks over any holes in box, almost providing a chip screen. some cooks I get a little ash, but I don’t get the bad taste you are getting.

Hopefully we can help you get this dialed in.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Paul B

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
I’ve had trouble with some big box store pecan I bought. I have a #2 analog. I now use a chip screen with aluminum foil underneath it with no holes poked in it. I am using Smokinlicious wood and I get 90-100% charcoal with the wood placed anywhere in the smoke box.

That pecan created horrible thick white/yellow smoke that smelled bad and I too yanked it out before it ruined my cook.
Its not the pecan(well maybe yours).  The pecan I use is picked off the ground in a pecan orchard, fallen dead branches. I have never had yellow smoke.
Just got done with a pork butt smoke, used 2 hockey puck size chunks of pecan in a cloned SI 3.5 smoker. Results were great.
I think cutting back on your wood, dry wood, will improve your results.
Paul B

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:27 AM »
Here is some info from Smokinlicious.  While it does not address yellow smoke (which I have never witnessed) it may prove helpful.
https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/smoke-signals-learn-what-the-color-means-when-cooking-with-wood/
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Glock_21

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:00 PM »
I have seen similar results when using the bags of wood from "big box" stores.  I came to the conclusion that it was all too dry. 
I started ordering wood from Smokinlicious and never had another problem. 

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

NeilW

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »
I got ash my first smoke, did some reading here and bought a pellet screen, use double foil in the bottom of the wood pan, ramp up from 150 after 20 minutes, never use more than 2 oz of any kind of wood, and never had another problem with bitter taste, nor do I ever get any ash, just black wood chunks after I'm done. BTW, I find the forward part of the wood box the coldest.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »
I have seen similar results when using the bags of wood from "big box" stores.  I came to the conclusion that it was all too dry. 
I started ordering wood from Smokinlicious and never had another problem.

Same here.  I bought a large box from Smokinlicious that is probably 2 years old now, and the wood is still smoking fine without any belches!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Danbow

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
Clay,
I hope you are getting it figured out. I can tell you without a doubt this is the best, most consistent smoker I've ever owned. It's one of those purchases that you look back on and say "thats money well spent right there".
 I've not had the issues that you have, but I also have heeded the advise that less wood is better than more wood with this smoker. Remember, the meat stops taking in smoke after about 3hrs anyway and the rest of the time the smoker is just cooking the meat, so you don't need a lot of wood to really get a good smoke on.
 Let us all know when you start getting the results your looking for. I think in the end you will be as big a fan of your smoker like we all are of ours.  Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

Smokin Jon

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »
I had the same experience and frustrations as you did.  Nasty white/yellow smoke and food with a nasty acrid taste with just 5-6 ounces of wood.

After reading what felt like 100 different posts on this site, I compiled a list of remedies for the thick white/yellow smoke and smoker burps. 

See this link:  https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=8160.0

My ultimate solution (for my 3D smoker) was to use a smokin-it chip screen in conjunction with a programed temperature ramp.  I now use 10-11 ounces of wood for large cuts of meat (brisket and pork shoulders) without the thick smoke or acrid taste. 

Bottom Line:  My problem was solved after a lot of reading and several experimentation smokes with copious notes.  Every smoker has a learning curve.  This one took longer than some of my previous smokers.  However, I ended up selling all my other smokers because i'm finally very happy with the results and because it is sooooo much easier now. 

Smokin Jon
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:39:10 PM by Smokin Jon »