Author Topic: Breaker tripping  (Read 1509 times)

James R Brown

Breaker tripping
« on: October 24, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »
Broke out my #2 for the first time in about a year today and discovered it's tripping the breaker every time I plug the cord in. Tried multiple outlets with the same result. Examined the cord and it's in perfect shape. I've probably used the smoker a total of 12 times since I bought it. So, I'm not an electrician but it's got to be the burner, the cord or the temp control. The breaker will trip when the temp control is in the off position also. Any advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Breaker tripping
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 12:13:55 AM »
Sent you some ideas on your other thread...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

hvacgaspiping

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
Broke out my #2 for the first time in about a year today and discovered it's tripping the breaker every time I plug the cord in. Tried multiple outlets with the same result. Examined the cord and it's in perfect shape. I've probably used the smoker a total of 12 times since I bought it. So, I'm not an electrician but it's got to be the burner, the cord or the temp control. The breaker will trip when the temp control is in the off position also. Any advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
First, do you ever leave the door of the smoker open?  If so, a bug or rodent could get in to where the electrical connections are at the heating element, causing a short circuit to ground.  That will trip a breaker every time.  If you leave a water pan(s) sitting inside (a small aluminum foil one which fits in well alongside the burner box) after use the moisture and the grease filled up within the pan(s) may cause corrosion in the above connections, resulting in the same scenario.   Other than that it is unlikely that a direct short in the controller or a broken and grounded wire would cause that problem.  Another thing to check is visually inspect the plug and prongs of your power cord.  They may show signs of discoloration from heat resulting in a short circuit as well.
Maybe a pet or rodent chewed on the cord?........ 

James R Brown

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 05:35:12 PM »
Replaced the burner and all is well
Rick from Middleburg, FL
Smokin-It #2
Go Gators

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »
Sweet!