Author Topic: 3D Program Hold Temp?  (Read 1342 times)

NorthernSmoke

3D Program Hold Temp?
« on: September 04, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »
So, I'm going to do my first overnight smoke. I'm smoking a 10lb Boston Butt. I've got it smoking at 225F. My first step is programmed to smoke at the temp until the internal temp of 195 hits. For step #2 I want it to hold at 140F in case it finishes early. Am I able to do this? I see for step #2 I can set the 140 temp, but it wants an ending time or internal temperature. Is there a way to just hold indefinitely at 140F, or do I need to program in a ending time. I'm fine putting in something like 6 hours, but just wanted to check if there was a way to just hold the temp.
Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle
Brinkmann Pitmaster deluxe barrel smoker

barelfly

Re: 3D Program Hold Temp?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:23:12 AM »
Yes, you can set it for program to an internal temp or for time. Like you, I have a hold temp set for time. You need to change the internal temp reading to time, but I’d have to mess with it to see if it works that way. I’m not sure if you can go one program on internal then next program to time temp. But it’s a great way to cook, using the program - I use a ramp up so 30-45 minutes for 150/175, then 225-275 for the time I want to cook, then I use the programmed holding temp. Ive cooked a few times programming by internal temp, but I’m more comfortable with time. That said, your plan sounds good and the overnight cooks are nice to have the program cooks.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NorthernSmoke

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that is the way I had to do it when I was looking through the manual and playing with the controls. Doesn't look like I'll need the holding temp this time around anyway, it cooked through the night and is sitting at mid 180s now. I'm interested and seeing how long this cook will be. I'm sitting at 16hrs in now.
Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 05:01:14 PM »
Pork butts take forever for some reason. I think I’ve gone 18 hours before. And that is one of the reasons I’ve started cooking with a hotter temp. 250F is what I smoke with now, cuts down on the time nicely, especially for pork butts.

How did it turn out? I see it’s been about 6 hours since you posted, so I’d guess it’s up to temp and wrapped in foil and ready to be pulled and hit with some good sauce!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

NorthernSmoke

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
Ended up taking just over 20hrs to hit 195. I double wrapped, put a towel around it, and in a cooler it went for a few more hours. It turned out really good. Glad I started when I did.
Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
Good lookin bark there! Glad you enjoyed it!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q