Author Topic: Bacon..Bacon..Bacon  (Read 1927 times)

kona77

Bacon..Bacon..Bacon
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »
 My local Costco store finally had some nicer bellies (have been looking since Dec) so I bought two (9-10lb's)..Pretty much followed the same process from my first bacon attempts last year..Used a dry brine/cure process with one belly getting brown sugar/maple syrup and the other garlic/rosemary. The garlic/rosemary tip came from another poster on here (SmokedGouda) and my wife really liked this flavor combo.. Smoked the smaller/garlic-rosemary belly on Monday and the larger one yesterday. I also wanted a "smokier" flavor profile so I cold smoked the larger one longer (5-6 hours).. Just sliced/sampled the smaller garlic/rosemary belly and it was delicious.. Will let the larger (smokier) belly sit an extra day or two before slicing. 

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=7459.0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:59:12 AM by kona77 »
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Bacon..Bacon..Bacon
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »
A couple things to know about bellies from Costco. If you buy them by the case it is a cheaper price. Ask if the guy can bring out two case and let you sort out the best five of the combined cases.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:35:14 PM »
Looks great!!!! Love me some Smokin-it smoked bacon!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

kona77

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »

Brian- Sorry, I see you mentioned there are 5 belly's in a case on your initial reply..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:15:48 PM »
Who doesn't love a bacon post!!!

Great suggestion Brian on the cases at Costco. I'll have to check into that the next time that I make bacon.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.