Author Topic: Question before buying?  (Read 5872 times)

DavidPDX

Question before buying?
« on: March 02, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
I’m considering buying a #1 or #2 analog and have a lingering question. Do these cookers get enough smoky flavor? Seems like I’m reading smoke lasts 1 to 1.5 hours and longer smokes are going 12 to 18ish hours. Judging by all the rave reviews it must not be a problem. I’ve also considered a vertical pellet smoker but these electric units seem so easy and so well built. I have no experience to compare to, just tell me there’s enough smoky flavor goodness and I’m sold!

Thanks,
David

barelfly

Re: Question before buying?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:35 PM »
I think they give off enough smoke to provide great smoked meat. My buddy has a Traeger and I feel the Smokin-it gives a better end product. The only true difference that would be noticed from a pellet cooker and a true stick burner would be the pink smoke ring you get.

Now, if you came from a stick burner and started using the Smokin-it, you may say it’s a lighter smoke. But, from reading about the various smokers, especially pellet cookers, I think this Smokin-it is a better buy and much easier to use, which, around we here we call it Lazy-q style smoking.

I am very happy with my 3D unit. It fits the bill for what I want and need. Would I like a big ol stick burner, yes. Do I need it for my style of smoking, no. I have my Weber kettle for that if I want. So, the smokin-it cookers should do you well.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help, as is everyone else around here!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

DavidPDX

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
Thanks Jeremy,
This is what I’m looking for. I can live without the smoke ring, just want to make sure the flavor is there. The digital units are appealing but reading through posts I’m won over by the simplicity of the analog.

David

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:38:10 AM »
Hey David...  great question!  What you'll find is that after a certain point (~140 degrees) the meat pretty much quits accepting more smoke anyway and that doing things (such as refilling the wood box) beyond that point often just ends up giving whatever you're smoking a bitter flavor.  These smokers are very low air-flow, so the smoke that is generated sticks around for long after new smoke is generated.

If you read through past posts, you'll find tons of cases where folks have been advised to cut back on how much wood they use and have come back to say that was the ticket.  I don't recall ever seeing a post where someone here has indicated they couldn't achieve a solid smoke flavor or were advised to refill the wood through the smoking process.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
Thanks Jeremy,
This is what I’m looking for. I can live without the smoke ring, just want to make sure the flavor is there. The digital units are appealing but reading through posts I’m won over by the simplicity of the analog.

David

David if you want the smoke ring look you can also add Quick Tender for 30 minutes then rinse.
Best Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
I have a #2 analog and I typically use around 4 oz of wood on a smoke.   I get more than enough smoke from just a little bit of wood, so I think you will be satisfied.   You can always add more wood for longer smokes (I would go closer to 6oz for a brisket, for example).   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 12:46:30 PM »
Another great thing with the electric smokers like Smokin-It, is that in my opinion, you can actually taste the subtle differences in the various woods that you use. I have owned/used several different types of smokers and invariably, the subtle flavors of the wood tend to get lost and it results in a great smokey flavor, but more of a homogenized flavor that doesn't really taste any different no matter what type of wood that I used.

I have really grown to love Cherry wood and even better a combination of Cherry and Hickory on a lot of my smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mike1910

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
If you decide to buy I think you’ll notice that a little wood goes a long ways with these smokers and the flavor is excellent.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

DavidPDX

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone for your answers! Now I just need to figure out #1 or 2 and leaning towards a 2...

David

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone for your answers! Now I just need to figure out #1 or 2 and leaning towards a 2...

David
Hey David,
I started with a 1 then a 2 then a 3....
If it is just your wife and you and I would suggest the #1. But is you like to have parties, cook for guests or neighbors I would spend the little bit extra for the #2.
Best Greg

mike1910

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
If it’s in the budget, always go bigger if you can. The extra space comes in handy sometimes. I have a #3 and normally I’d only need a 1. But there’s been times when hosting parties etc. where the extra room was needed. Just my 2 cents!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

pappabear

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »
The smoke flavor is very good. I have a #2...perfect!
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:37 PM »
I have a #1, a Smokin Tex 1400 (same size as a #2) and a #3.
I really like the extra space in the #3 when doing a 7# load of jerky or 2 pork butts, or 6 racks of ribs.  The #1 is for going camping and it works good for a single pork butt, 2 racks of ribs ( cut in half). 
My advice would be to buy the #2, you won't regret the extra room over the #1. And if you are going to be doing a lot of smoking, a #3 is worth the extra money for the space.  They all take the same amount of time to cook something, just the quantity you can cook is different.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Norwester

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 03:05:39 AM »
I have the #1 and wish I would have went with the 2. Theres been times where just a bit more room would have been nice.
Jeff from central Oregon

kona77

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »

I have a 3D and can only echo other comments and confirm you will definitely get a good smoke flavor with these units..
Have made /shared briskets, butts, ribs, bacon, pastrami etc with friends and family and they all raved about the flavor/quality of the meat.. As far as size I know some folks with a #1 have noted they have to separate the point/flat on a brisket to get it to fit.. Agree with the comment that when in doubt go bigger if your budget allows.
Have said this before but one of the big advantages of a Smokin unit is the wealth of information on this forum and the folks who are willing to answer questions. Was a huge help to me when I started 3-4 years ago..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..