Author Topic: 1st cheese smoke  (Read 8272 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 1st cheese smoke
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
I've used this set up from day one of doing my first cheese smoke.  Initially, I used the smoker element but that requires turning the smoker on and off periodically as the temp starts to rise too high.  I use the same set up now but use the Amazn maze for my smoke supply.  Being in Colorado, you have the advantage of cold weather to help control too high of temps.  My recommendation, no matter which method you choose, is to do a dry run without cheese in the box.  See how successful you are at producing smoke with minimal heat. There are several ways to accomplish this.  My two examples are just a couple. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

smokinwannabee

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »
Ah.  Like the idea of the dry run.  Had not thought of that.  Thanks
Jeff.  Colorado

LTS

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
 sorry for not getting back right away, you got a lot of good info here. as always. when i smoke cheese
 I prefer sawdust that I make from Todds` Pellets  by using a blender  dry in the microwave then load into the tray which has 4 binder clips I use for legs. I have the SI #4  and it works fine for me.
   I like the lesser cooler smoke for a longer time I do the same with bacon but I smoke it twice it`s a matter of taste. I also bought the fiberglass matts he sells.

HTH  Paul

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
So for the tubes/trays I understand one uses sawdust... where does one obtain the proper sawdust?  Does sawdust provide the same kind of smoke as chunks?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

smokinwannabee

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »
All good Paul.  Just happened to have a window of time to be on so much the past few days.  Look forward to giving the cheese smoking an attempt.
Jeff.  Colorado

LTS

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
  Jeff,
         I just noticed your in Col. and I`m a flatlander from the Jersey Shore which  is about 17/64th
of an inch above sea level which will give you a" attitude " problem :)  So you need guys` with the same attitude   :)

HTH  Paul

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:05 AM »
So for the tubes/trays I understand one uses sawdust... where does one obtain the proper sawdust?  Does sawdust provide the same kind of smoke as chunks?
Larry, as Paul mentioned, you can somewhat make your own by crushing some pellets.  I crumble mine up a little in a ziplock baggie with a hammer and then pulse it up in an old coffee grinder.  I also make most of my own sawdust by cutting limbs on the saw with a box underneath to catch the sawdust.  I've noticed that you can also order sawdust online.  There are some testimonials on here where some like straight pellets better than the sawdust.  I've had a difficult time keeping the pellets lit but maybe it is the brand of pellets that I'm using.  My standard cheese smokes are a combination of crushed pellets and sawdust made from my wood cutting.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:41:18 AM by SuperDave »

EFGM

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »
Cheese Cheese and more Cheese. This batch went in yesterday afternoon. The small slices on top are for Crackers and a slice of sausage on top. The last picture was just cause I was hungry and is waiting to get melted and warm.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
NICE JOB!!!

You should be set for a couple of weeks :P

Very wise to use frozen water bottles instead of a tray of open ice too. Melting ice makes creates moisture and humidity which can, in turn, result in smoke droplets of water falling on the cheese and this is not good.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokinwannabee

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Looks great, Greg.  Like the idea of the frozen bottles.  Curious how first smoke turns out. 
Jeff.  Colorado

EFGM

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »
Well, those thin slices on the top racks, the one destined for use with crackers and topped with sausage! They were mistakenly put in freezer instead of refrigerator! My bride misunderstood my directions so it was frozen for a day. I know your not suppose to freeze cheese but I don’t know if one day is long enough to do whatever damage freezing does. Anybody have any advice? 
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
You are correct in that you really should not freeze cheese.

However, all is not lost. The biggest issue with freezing cheese is that it changes the texture of the cheese and makes it more crumbly. I would have no problems at all still eating the cheese especially if you were able to pull it out of the freezer after only a day.

Even though I have not actually done this, my guess is that you will be just fine with your sliced cheese.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Smoke on cheese is always strong on the outside and needs time to mellow by absorbing into the block. I have more concerns about smoking a slice than the one day in the freezer.

EFGM

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »
Thanks Gregg and Dave. I was hoping that in just one day it might not change the texture. My bride now knows to never freeze our cheese!  Dave, I wondered about the slices myself and tested it out last year and it worked out great for some snacky’s for a small function.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
I was wondering about the smoke level on those slices too. My guess is that with some aging, they would mellow just like other cheeses and even out the smoke temp.

Thanks for sharing your 1st cheese smoke with us. This reminded me that I have some 2-year-old aged cheddar in my cheese stash that I should try again. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND