Author Topic: Hello from West Chester, PA  (Read 4227 times)

Marcmax

Re: Hello from West Chester, PA
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »
One more update on this thread...

6.3lb flat took nearly 12 hours with a stall that drove me up a wall. Wow! Wrapped in butcher paper for the last 2 hours.  Still probably pulled it out a bit early at IT 190 but it came out pretty good. Can't wait to do another. I'm hooked.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.
Marc from West Chester, PA
SI #2
Weber Genesis (even in the dead of winter . . .)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »
Welcome from ND Marc!

Most of the hickory chunks that come from SI are around 2 ounces, which would have put you at about 4 ounces.

I typically use 2.5-3.0 ounces on ribs, but you'll find what works best for you.

5 hours seems a little early for spares. But again, everyone's tastes/preferences are different.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Marcmax

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 10:01:10 AM »
You're right NDKoze. I think I pulled both the ribs and brisket out just a bit early. Next time . . .
Marc from West Chester, PA
SI #2
Weber Genesis (even in the dead of winter . . .)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
You're right NDKoze. I think I pulled both the ribs and brisket out just a bit early. Next time . . .

I love 190 on Pork Butts and that is my go to temp. But, on Brisket I tend to pull around 195 in the flat and shoot for 200-205 or so in the point if things work out well.

My spares tend to go a little longer than most. The standard is something around the 5-hour mark for baby backs and 6 hours on spares. I usually smoke St Louis style which are just spares with the riblets cut off and mine always tend to come out around 7 hours. I think this is because I still smoke my ribs at 225, because I prefer the results better than smoking at 235 (for my tastes).

Time and practice will tell you where your sweet spots are.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

GarthMN

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
Welcome Marc from Minneapolis!
Garth from Minneapolis
SI Model #1