Author Topic: Just ordered a 3D and I'm looking for suggestions on my first item to smoke  (Read 10078 times)

dibiase

Thanks for all the replies.  This forum is fantastic with a lot of great recipes and tips.  My 3D is actually out for delivery from Fedex, which is sooner than I expected so I will get the seasoning done when I get home tonight.  I have a craving for ribs so I think I'm going to try the no peek ribs first and Pork butt with brine next. 
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Merry Christmas, Chris! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokinwannabee

Good call on both.  Recently bought my 1st smoker -3D- and absolutely love it.  The good folks on the forum are a major reason for my purchase, quick learning curve and producing some pretty tasty BBQ so quickly. 
Jeff.  Colorado

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
I vote for pork butt for the first smoke, and here's why. You can put a temp probe in a butt. Since you can't probe ribs, the temptation for someone at their first smoke is to keep opening the door to "look" at the ribs. And just open the door from the sheer excitement of it all! It seems like I see a lot of posts where people do ribs for their first smoke, and are disappointed for one reason or another. But usually because they are undercooked, because they open the door to look, spritz or mop (not necessary with the SI), sauce, wrap, etc. and just general unnecessary fussing. And just cuz they want to see what's going on in there! Since ribs go by time only, you DO have to open the door eventually to check them for doneness. Pork butt is a nice long smoke, and goes by temperature only. When it's done, it's done. Open the door and take it out with confidence. It's also very forgiving, stays moist, and is practically fool-proof. And it further seasons the smoker nicely.

Welcome from a fellow Wisconsinite by the way! I use my SI all winter long!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:33:53 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

es1025

Pork butt or baby back ribs!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

What'd did you decide, Chris?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

dibiase

I ended up doing 3 racks of baby back ribs for the first smoke.  I followed the no peak ribs method on this forum and they turned about fantastic.  By far the easiest and best tasting ribs I have every made.  I also smoked a bone in turkey breast.  My wife was planning on cooking in in the oven but it wasn't thawed out yet when she was going to cook it, so I figure I'd just smoke it.  I did the brine and smoked it until it hit 165 f.  This also came out great.  I used 3 oz of cherry for the turkey and it was nice and moist with a nice smoke flavor but not over powering.  I am really loving the 3D.  Next weekend I am going to do the Boston butt.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Sounds like an inaugural success. Congratulations.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

Congrats on the success, Chris!!  You're off and running now!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

Nothing like babies and turkey...
Ed from Northern NJ

dibiase

It was defiantly a big success and I wish I would have picked up this smoker sooner.  Since it was my first smoke I probably checked on it more often than needed and it really holds the temperature well.  Every time I checked it was within a degree of the set temp.  I planned on posting pictures but I got so excited when I finally pulled the ribs out that I completely forgot to take the pictures.

I'm picking up a pork butt tomorrow so I can get it in the brine for this weekend. 
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

es1025

Get yourself a good meat temp probe, these smokers are awesome.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

Nothing like babies and turkey...

... 'cause 1 out of 2 babies love turkey! ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

dibiase

Just an update on the new smoker.  I did do the bone in pork butt this weekend.  I used Tony's brine under the pork forum.  I put my butt in the brine at 7 am on my way to work on Friday morning.  I pulled it from the brine at 4:30 pm when I got home.  From there I covered in yellow mustered and my pork rub.  I put in in the refrigerator until 11 PM.  I loaded it in the smoker with 6 oz wood.  About 4 oz cherry and 2 oz maple.  It hit 193 F at 3 PM on Saturday and I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and put it in the cooler until 5PM.  I pulled the pork at 5 PM and it was fantastic.  Nice and moist with amazing flavor.  Probably some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.  The awesome thing is most of the smoking time happened while I was in bed sleeping.  I wouldn't have been able to even consider that with my old charcoal smoker.  I am loving the 3D.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
So little effort to get outstandingly good eats.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus