Author Topic: Brisket-a-go-go!  (Read 10836 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Brisket-a-go-go!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:39:19 AM »
You are correct in that it will shut off the element until the temp gets to 150. But, the residual heat and the excellent insulation in these smokers will hold that heat for a long time before it actually cools down to 150.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
The one time that I had a fast smoke and had to hold the meat at 140 for over 6 hours I was extremely unhappy with the texture of the meat.  If I was in that position again, I'd wrap and use the cooler. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
Dave is right. The hold in the smoker should really only be used if your meat is done 4-5 hours too early. I have rested meat in my cooler for 4 hours and it was still too hot to pull by hand. Then another 30-60 minutes to cut the brisket or pull the pork and I am ready to eat.

Dave, I am curious as to what you were smoking and at what point you turned down the temp? Could it have just been a situation where you had it set to turn down the temp at too high of an internal temp and the slow fall in temp ended up overcooking your meat?

I know I overcooked a pork butt one time and it got kind of mushy and was not optimal.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
Gregg, it was a very large piece of beef.  I did stop the heat before reaching the desired IT but even at hold temperatures I think the prolonged moist environment of the smoker changed the texture of the meat.  (Couldn't slice it)  In short, I felt like I lost control of my product and think that towels and cooler is just a much better way to hold the meat if you are at home.  If you aren't, the Auber program for hold is certainly better than nothing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Gotcha. That makes sense.
Gregg - Fargo, ND