Author Topic: Hello and Here We Go!  (Read 5627 times)

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
Hello and Here We Go!
« on: December 18, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
Very excited to get started on this SMOKIN journey!  After researching the internet for "best electric smokers", and subsequently finding Smokin-It, I decided to purchase a #2.  I've been enjoying this forum with everyone's comments, suggestions, and guidance....what a resource.  You can't print a manual that gives this kind of information.  My #2 arrived a few days ago, I seasoned per the instructions, and today I'm SMOKIN.  Decided to try DivotMakers "Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork" recipe.  I'm exactly 3 hours in.  I am at work, but have called home to have my daughter check the temp on the maverick.  I feel like a nervous parent haha.  I know I'm going to ruin a bunch of meat before I get the hang of it, but I can already tell I sure enjoy the process.  Thank you to all of you regular forum posters.  I'm hanging onto your every word-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:38:53 PM by Bucket from NW Georgia »

Limey

Re: Hello and Here We Go!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »
Hi Bucket (real name?) I doubt very much that you are going to ruin any meat at all, let alone "a bunch". If you follow the guidelines on the forum everything will work out just fine-you have also chosen a very forgiving first smoke in a butt, just be patient with it. Welcome to the forum.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
Welcome and enjoy.

FYI, make sure that juice box TOUCHES the wood box.  As a "stand alone" they don't work quite as well.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:21:10 PM »
That's a fine-looking butt, Bucket!  Sure glad to have another Southerner with us! 8)   Pork butts are very forgiving...almost impossible to mess them up!  I use 190 for final temp now, and it's great!

Let us know how it turns out!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:13 PM »
167 degrees 10 1/2 hours in.  Appears to be "on schedule".

jcboxlot: my juice box was not touching the wood box.  Will make sure and do that next time.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »
Sounds like your are in the stall at 167. Could be several hours sitting at that temp, so don't worry. I bend the lip of the foil pan straight up on the side by the smoke box, so I can snug it right up against the side. Looks like you've been studying the forum and have a great first smoke going. Let us know how it turns out!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
Bucket, Welcome from SW Arkansas. Congratulations on your #2!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Bucket.   You will love the #2, I know I do!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
I'm guessing you had a great meal last night. Where are the money shots?

BTW, welcome from ND!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
Hit 190 IT at 3:45 am (15 1/2 hour smoke time).  After wrapping, resting, then pulling - shared the pork with family at Christmas dinner.  It was a hit.  I could not believe how juicy and flavorful this was.  Again, divotmakers recipe was spot on.  Ribs next. Thanks again all forum posters!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
Looks like pork!  Enjoy, its an easy smoke, just have to "time" it and not rush anything.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
That's what we like to see, Bucket!  Nice job, Sir! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »
Looks like a winner!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
Congrats,

Nice bark, it looks great!

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
One tip for the rest, Bucket - put a towel in the cooler, then the butt, then another towel.  Hold that heat in.
Tony from NW Arkansas