Author Topic: Improvements I would like to see  (Read 15198 times)

Doesitswim

Improvements I would like to see
« on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a noobie as far as smoking. Love this forum, spent days reading up on everything while waiting for my delivery. Lots of information here!

Got my SI#2 yesterday and I just seasoned it today. Really look forward to my first smoke.

Two improvements I would like to see on a REALLY well built smoker:

1)  A green power light AND a red heater element light (this should be a really easy DIY for less than $5).

2)  Drip pan rail needs to be redesigned so pan won't fall off when smoker is moved.
Rich from Bay Area, California
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis 1000, Weber 22" kettle, Deep Fryer and Fishing Rods :)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Improvements I would like to see
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »
Welcome to the club, Rich!  Your ideas are definitely noted; we always welcome new ideas!  The power light idea is good.  Not sure what you mean about the drip pan, though.  If I'm moving my smoker around, it's usually before or after a smoke, so the drip pan is usually not in place.  I've never had one fall out during a smoke, and I've actually not had one fall out during movement, either.  Maybe you're moving it over some rough terrain and it's bouncing a lot?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Doesitswim

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:34:47 PM »
I was just being lazy  ::). Should of removed it when I was moving the smoker from the garage to the backyard and onto the deck. Hit a couple of bumps on the way.

Pretty sure it won't happen during a smoke.
Rich from Bay Area, California
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis 1000, Weber 22" kettle, Deep Fryer and Fishing Rods :)

Build-it !

• Smoke It, and they will come...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
My biggest complaint would be the temperature swings. It seems they could find a better thermostat /controller that would come on the standard unit. I hate the thought of having to add a $200 Auber.

I see now that the 3D has come out already outfitted with a PID. Great idea, wish it were available a few months earlier when I bought mine !
Tim from deep South Texas - McAllen

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
The temp swings really do not affect the results of your meat, so I wouldn't worry about the swings. I did a little bit at first. But, now I just set my temp, probe my meat, and don't even bother monitoring the box temp anymore.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »
The temp swings really do not affect the results of your meat, so I wouldn't worry about the swings. I did a little bit at first. But, now I just set my temp, probe my meat, and don't even bother monitoring the box temp anymore.

So agreed, I get crazy swings with my offset and the grub is darn good. The Smokin -It swings are nuttin to fret about...imho..
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »

So agreed, I get crazy swings with my offset and the grub is darn good. The Smokin -It swings are nuttin to fret about...imho..
I received my #3D last week, seasoned it today, I had the #3 standard and no problem with the swings from me either, all the smokes turned out great, my wife is super happy with the meats I can smoke in the #3 standard, so why the #3D??  I'm a gadget guy, I like the ability to see the current temperature from the box and probe without using a maverick, etc., program the meat probe to lower once the meat gets to a certain temp and just keep warm, I like that idea.  Now, I have contacted the folks at Auber and asked about a WIFI unit for the 3D, no such animal but that would be another nice little gadget to have.  My son has a Green Mountain pellet smoker which has built in WIFI and can control it where ever he is at, nice feature!  Seasoned the new #3D at 250 degrees and box temp shifted a couple of times from 250 to 253, that was it, mostly stayed right at 250-251, super accurate temp control. I did learn something the hard way but it still turned out ok, that was smoking 4 chickens on the bottom rack, a small brisket in the middle rack and two 8 pound pork shoulders on the top rack.  About 40+ pounds of meat in the #3 standard model.  Smoked at 225 and the chickens drippings ran onto the firebox lid, normal, and started to smoke "burnt smoke" which was absorbed by the chickens.  Probably should have done the chickens by themselves and with a pan or two underneath them to collect the drippings.  I was able to add some spices to help cut the burnt taste and the rest of the smoke was great.  I'll be selling the almost new #3 standard soon if anyone is interested ;>)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:55:26 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »

I received my #3D last week, seasoned it today, I had the #3 standard and no problem with the swings from me either, all the smokes turned out great, my wife is super happy with the meats I can smoke in the #3 standard, so why the #3D??  I'm a gadget guy, I like the ability to see the current temperature from the box and probe without using a maverick, etc., program the meat probe to lower once the meat gets to a certain temp and just keep warm, I like that idea.  Now, I have contacted the folks at Auber and asked about a WIFI unit for the 3D, no such animal but that would be another nice little gadget to have.  My son has a Green Mountain pellet smoker which has built in WIFI and can control it where ever he is at, nice feature!  Seasoned the new #3D at 250 degrees and box temp shifted a couple of times from 250 to 253, that was it, mostly stayed right at 250-251, super accurate temp control. I did learn something the hard way but it still turned out ok, that was smoking 4 chickens on the bottom rack, a small brisket in the middle rack and two 8 pound pork shoulders on the top rack.  About 40+ pounds of meat in the #3 standard model.  Smoked at 225 and the chickens drippings ran onto the firebox lid, normal, and started to smoke "burnt smoke" which was absorbed by the chickens.  Probably should have done the chickens by themselves and with a pan or two underneath them to collect the drippings.  I was able to add some spices to help cut the burnt taste and the rest of the smoke was great.  I'll be selling the almost new #3 standard soon if anyone is interested ;>)

These are all great reasons to get an Auber or a D model.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
I'm a little confused on the power on light. Power is on only when the element is on, which is when the red light is on. So, essentially, the red light is both the power on and element on light.

I swapped the male plug on the end of the cord for a weatherproof lighted model. That lets me see at a glance that power is going to the box, as it's pulled off of a switched receptacle.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
I'm a little confused on the power on light. Power is on only when the element is on, which is when the red light is on. So, essentially, the red light is both the power on and element on light.

I swapped the male plug on the end of the cord for a weatherproof lighted model. That lets me see at a glance that power is going to the box, as it's pulled off of a switched receptacle.

Are you talking about when a standalone Auber is hooked to the smoker?  If so, you're right.  The red light on the smoker only comes on when power is being sent to the element.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »
I'm responding to the OP. No Auber. Just regular old #2. The red light is on when the element is on. The unit is only powered up when the element is on...  Therefore, the red light is both.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »
Gotcha, Aaron!  Thanks for the clarification! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »

Carl-

I have Wifi enabled controls using my HeaterMeter and I love it! See the thread I posted here:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2765
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
That looks nice, is this in use with one of the smokin-it smokers or a BGE?
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

RG

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
I had an idea spring into my noodle today. The issue with grease still getting under the foil that you line on the bottom had me thinking. The reason discussed in another thread mentioned the possibility that the sidewalls might be the culprit, allowing grease on the walls to slide down and seep under the foil.

My thought was to install a beveled rail/lip (angled down) just above the floor bottom that would act much like the eaves of a roof. It would direct the grease over the edge of the foil to keep it from running behind/under the foil. It would have to run the perimeter, both sides and rear wall.
Jason from Conyers GA