Author Topic: 1st attempt at beef jerky  (Read 14393 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st attempt at beef jerky
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 07:35:03 PM »
If I didn't use curing salt I wouldn't go that low.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
If I didn't use curing salt I wouldn't go that low.

Good to know!  And a great tip for those who don't!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
Depending on the wood used, some may have a hard time getting smoke at 100 degrees. I know I did on my last batch and had to increase the temp even when using wood chips instead of chunks.

I might try using my A-MAZE-N smoker the next time I make jerky just to see if I can tell the difference as that will easily provide smoke at 100 degrees.

This is another reason to go a little higher. Even at 140, my jerky still took about 8-10 hours to finish. I can't imagine how long it would have took if I only used 100.

FYI, I always use cure with my jerky.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
Hey Greg, I have a question for you, when you say you use cure with making your jerky. You use the package from the high mountain package right?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
Hey Greg, I have a question for you, when you say you use cure with making your jerky. You use the package from the high mountain package right?

Bill, the High Mountain jerky cures are good, but you can also make your own brines, like I do.  The main thing is that they contain curing salt (pink salt).  This can be in several forms, but nitrites are needed to "cure" meat.  This is what prevents a lot of bad things, like botulism.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »

Yes, I use the package that comes with the mix in amounts from the instructions.

I have used brines too and they work well. I just like the results I get with the mixes better. Could just be personal tastes.

I say try several different brines and mixes so you have a variety of products in the freezer.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »
Thanks Greg, I pretty much like the taste of High Mountain hickory flavor especially on deer. But, really want to try on beef jerky. I am pretty sure can turn out something that is as good as what you buy in the stores.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri