Author Topic: Cleaning the racks  (Read 20483 times)

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Cleaning the racks
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 02:10:25 PM »
Model 3D racks didn't fit in the sink or dishwasher.  I tried a dish bus tub, only half fit.  Finally decided to try something else, a washer pan from home depot shown here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Washing-Machine-Pan-34067/100080446

I can fit over 6 racks in this pan, probably more.  I give the racks a good soak with water and they just need a small scrape with a wire brush.  May not be practical in winter cold areas but it works great to get racks cleaned up.  Pam would make the job even easier.  I'm working on another rack cleaner project and will post when it's finished, if it works ;-))

Carl
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:19:48 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »
I'm of the soak in a mortar tub school, and I've also found that a Magic Eraser works wonders for cleaning the racks. Mine look practically brand new.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

mizzoufan

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:05 AM »
dang, you guys are making me reconsider my idea of eventually upgrading to a #3 (probably 3D).  I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't put the racks and side rails in the dishwasher.  I guess I could try the threat that I won't use the smoker anymore unless my roomies do the cleanup, but I'm not sure they'd believe me.
Steven from KCMO

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
I put my #3 racks in my dishwasher all the time. They stick out just a little bit (maybe 1"-2", but as I close the door of the dishwasher they slide up the door wall and the door closes without issue. I run the dishwasher on the Heavy Duty with high heat dry and my racks come out very clean.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

pargol4

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
Am I doing something that I'm not supposed to do? If/when they get really bad, I just throw them in the oven on the self-cleaning mode. One time through and they are like new.

barelfly

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 02:23:57 PM »
@pargol4

I put mine on my grill after I use them. Burn the crud off and hit them with the brush. Not self clean, but gets some hot temps on them and they are good..
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

EFGM

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
Actually both good ideas, I usually scrape mine to get heavy stuff off, the reuse about 3-4 times, then put them in the dishwasher. About once a year I will take them to the car wash but not sure why. I have started using the heavy aluminum pan covers (2) to foil the bottom and I get at least 3 uses out of them, sometimes 4. Having the real estate of a #4 allows me to use a inside drip pan as well. Got that trick from Super Dave if I remember correctly.

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
dang, you guys are making me reconsider my idea of eventually upgrading to a #3 (probably 3D).  I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't put the racks and side rails in the dishwasher.  I guess I could try the threat that I won't use the smoker anymore unless my roomies do the cleanup, but I'm not sure they'd believe me.

The 3 series racks fit just fine in my dishwasher which is how I do it...  i wouldn't mind having a container to pre-soak them sometimes when they're really cruddy.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 10:20:14 PM »
I occasionally scrub my racks with a stiff wire brush, not much else is needed other than a wipe down.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NVW-SSV

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2019, 07:30:20 AM »
#3.5 racks fit on the bottom dishwasher rack if I remove the silverware tray on the door.   I usually soak in the mortar tub and then run a pots/pans cycle high heat.  they sparkle like new.
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)