Author Topic: An Alternative Cart  (Read 31568 times)

Big Fish

Re: An Alternative Cart
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
Bought this cart from Sears about a month ago.  Works great with my #1 smoker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Lol, I have the same cart. It has my wireless printers on them. I just bought the one from SI and was done with it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
I like the cart from Ebay, but have the SI cart.  I like the side shelves, and the fact that it's already drilled to bolt the unit onto it.  The #1 can go on about anything, the #2 is heavier, but you need a sturdy cart for that hoss of a #3!  Lots of weight, so you want stable and tip-resistant.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DHurd

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
I don't know guys...  I'm liking the dorm fridge idea a lot.  That would certainly provide enough ballast to offset the weight of the Mod3.

My son-in-law has one - I think I'll ask about a dry fit tomorrow just to see how it goes.

Dan Hurd
Model 3, w/PID (Now properly bypassed!)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
Now that's using your available resources to think "outside the (smoker) box!" ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 12:47:08 AM »
I am a strong believer that the smoker cart should include a keg fridge to help pass the time while waiting for that great Q.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
An integrated beer cooler is great when you're sitting around, outside, with friends or family.  But, since I smoke with as little human intervention as possible (my style of "Lazy Q"), my beer stays in the house with me.  lol.  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DHurd

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
Son-in-Law's mini-fridge proved a bit too tall for my cart, but I'm pretty sure that with some diligence, I could find a model to fit.

But in the mean time, I'd miss a lot of time smoking and that would be counterproductive in my opinion.  Besides, I do most of my smoking in my garage (smells great!) and we have a full sized fridge just steps away.  No need to stress for a cold one, but nonetheless, a good design idea.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Ha!  Great prioritization and time management, Dan!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Fish

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
I ended up with the SI cart for the SI #3. It's built very well. The only thing I don't like is that the shelves are a bit dodgy. It's worth every bit of the $200 balloons.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
Well, I went ahead and bought the same cart from Harbor Freight that you got Dan.

I'm gonna do things a bit different. I'll create a new thread when I get to mine.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Harbor Freight though. I had looked for a similar cart and everywhere else I looked was way more expensive.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DHurd

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
Can't wait to see what you put together!
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

bigbassnutt

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
Here is a table with wheels and a shelf for my number 2. Very sturdy and gives me a place to put a drip pan to catch the drippings when I pull the racks out. Had the guy cut the legs to give me a height with wheels around 31". He knocked off a few bucks when I emailed him and free shipping, ended up around $141.00. I would like to figure out some type of shelf to hold my Auber and Maverick up higher while cooking, the probes are long enough I can use the shelf below just think I would like them better up around eye level.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131222972035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
Nice-looking table.  With both cart/table designs, I notice that the table sticks out quite a ways in front of the smoker.  Just curious - do you find it kind of awkward getting things in and out of the smoker when you have to stand off to the side?  Seems like not being able to get close to the front of the smoker would be.  Pictures can be deceiving, though, so I thought I'd ask.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
I like what Big Bass has. The price seems fair. I really like how there is a place to put a pan to catch drips when the racks are pulled out.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

bigbassnutt

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
When I first set the smoker up there I had the extra space to the right but really like it this way to catch the drips. The pic makes it look like it would be hard to reach but it isn't. I really like not having to get on my knees to use/clean it.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2