Author Topic: Brine for Boston Butt  (Read 95878 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Brine for Boston Butt
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
I realized that I had this in my brined butt post, but neglected to put the recipe in the brine section.

1 gallon water
1 1/8 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Instacure #1 pink curing salt (optional)

Put 1/3 of the water in a pan large enough to hold 1 gallon.  Add the other ingredients, and heat on medium to simmer the brine.  The idea is to melt all the salt and sugar, and help blend some of those spices into the liquid.  I usually heat for 15-20 minutes, never bringing to a boil.  Stir regularly.

Once the brine is blended, remove from heat and add the rest of the water in the form of ice cubes.  I have a large sauce pan that has 1 gallon marked on the side, so I know the level - makes this much easier.  This will immediately cool the brine.  Once all the ice melts, I place the brine in the fridge to get cold.  I don't take any chances by putting the meat in a brine that isn't below 40-degrees.  Once the brine has chilled, place the pork butt in the brine.  Let it brine for 12-13 hours.

After brining, rinse well, coat in yellow mustard and rub, and you're ready for the smoker!  I know there are some that say you should never brine a pork butt, but you'll find it to be the most moist and flavorful pulled pork you'll ever have!  Let me know if you have any improvements or variations!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:16:30 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

prudentsmoker

Re: Brine for Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
Thinking I want this for my first #3 smoke Thursday. Tell me please, do you remove any fat after the smoke?

Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
The  nice thing about the fat is that it disappears through the smoking process!   You will see a nice bark on the BB, and lots of good juices, but the fat should be long gone.    The brine is the bomb!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »
If there is any remaining fat, it is pretty minor and just melts into flavorful juice that gets mixed in when I pull the butt. No removing of fat before or after for me. Unless there are huge thick chunks of fat prior to smoking.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
I never remove the fat. A but is perfect fat to meat ratio, you could grind it for sausage without adding anything. I has the perfect blend I don't mess with it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on the brine, Steve!  I usually trim a little of the really thick fat from a butt, and always remove as much of the hard connective tissue in the flap between the two muscles.  After smoking, the only thing I remove is the bone! ;)   All the fat should be rendered down to pork candy that kisses the pulled meat with juicy goodness!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

prudentsmoker

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
Thanks again. I did buy a pork puller this PM, hope it gets here in time.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks again. I did buy a pork puller this PM, hope it gets here in time.

I use bear claws - cheap and effective.  And, the manual method helps me de-stress! lol!  Can't wait to see what you got!
Tony from NW Arkansas

prudentsmoker

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
I use the bear claws to, but thinking with the #3 of making a bunch for church.
Brian from Wichita

bigbassnutt

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
Check out the meat rake, I got mine on Amazon and they seem to work better for me than the bear claws. I do like the bear claws for getting the meat out of the smoker, works great for that.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
I've seen the rakes, Mike, and almost ordered them.  You've confirmed what I suspected!  The bear claws work OK, but forks work even better.  The rakes look like the best of both worlds!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
Hey Tony, why the pink salt in the brine? Does it change the flavor?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
Hey Tony, why the pink salt in the brine? Does it change the flavor?

Totally optional, Bob.  I think it adds a little bit of a ham taste to the outer meat, but like that it adds a little "faux" smoke ring (makes the meat look great for presentation - a little splash of color!).  That's pretty much the only reason I use it in brines for butts, loins or briskets.  Of course, it's critical to a true curing brine, like for Canadian bacon.

Here's a couple of examples!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »
Looks really tasty! Thanks Tony. I will give it a shot.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
Just remember, Bob - it's "our little secret!"  lol.  If you're feeding your BBQ to "traditional" smoker snobs (you know, the "real BBQ only comes from charcoal or wood" crowd), you'll impress them with your smoke ring!  Little do they know you can duplicate the same tasteless pink ring they think is the mark of "real" BBQ!  I laugh every time I fool one! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas