Author Topic: There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...  (Read 15145 times)

DHurd

There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
Hi all, I'm Dan Hurd, the wife and I are both retired and live in Fredericksburg.  I have cooking background and though not my chosen career, it's been a happy pastime for me since I was a kid.

About a year ago, on a lark, we bought an MES.  Everything was fine until it started to get chilly outside.  Once it began to take over an hour for the unit to come to temperature, I knew that unit was on it's way out.  After the wife was embarrassed by a major delay for a dinner when the unit simply wouldn't reach temperature, she decided ;D we should look for a better smoker.  On February 10th, she clicked the "place your order" tab for our (my) new Model 3.  (Yippee!)

The recent storm delayed the shipping (and I've lost some respect for FedEx through this experience) and it finally arrived midafternoon yesterday.  I haven't finished unpacking yet, but so far, there looks to be no significant damage.

Anyway, so that's me - a long time in the Army, a little longer in Civil Service and now happily retired so I can play with my grandkid and spend my kids inheritance.
Dan Hurd
Model 3, w/PID (Now properly bypassed!)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

GeeBee

Re: There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »
Welcome Dan. I'm a noob here also, waiting to pull the trigger on a #2 next month. Lots of good info and experience on this site. Enjoy your new unit!
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
Welcome Dan,

Thank you for your service Dan!

You will find no shortage of help on this forum. There are many very helpful posters and previously posted topics for you to learn from.

I am a noob too. Just got my #3 last week and christened it this weekend with a Boston Butt and some St Louis Cut ribs.

Our temps in ND were hovering around 0 for the majority of my Pork Butt smoke and I never had a problem getting to or maintaining temperature. It started smoking within 15 minutes, and I am guessing was up to temp in 30-45 minutes.

The insulation on this thing is awesome and I am guessing you have already discovered that this thing is built like a tank.

Now get that thing seasoned up and smoke some meat!  ;D
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
Hi Dan!  Welcome to our little club!  Let me also thank you for your service!

You have made a definite step up from your previous smoker!  The build quality, durability and reliability between these and the "big box" smokers is amazing!  I almost went the MES route, until a good friend bought one.  His lasted a whole three months before the element went out!  So glad I found SI!

Hang out here when able, and throw us questions, recipes, pictures, thoughts, etc...  We're a pretty friendly bunch, and we're here to help!  I encourage you to read through the forum topics that interest you, and use the "search" box at the top of the page.  At this point, there's not a lot that hasn't been covered in some manner.  Early on, many of us were experimenting together, and covering lots of new ground.  Now, new members have the luxury of just looking the topics up and finding lots of answers!  Don't be shy about throwing us a curve ball, if you can't find what you're looking for!

Gregg put it best:  Now get to smoking! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DHurd

Virginia's newest Mod 3...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I appreciate all the kind words and insights.  After finally getting a break from our surprisingly cold and snowy winter today, I have a brief status report for you.

Ran my shop-vac over it (there were Styrofoam "beads" everywhere - it appears to have taken a couple good knocks enroute), wiped it down with a well wrung cloth and completed what little assembly is involved.  Foiled the bottom and the wood box lid and did a quick power check.  I'll do the seasoning smoke tomorrow morning.

So at this point, I'll gladly accept your collective advice and get smoking!  I can hardly wait!  I want to smoke a flat or packer (if I can find one) right now.  But since my PID is back ordered, for now, I'll stick to something a little more forgiving - pork spareribs.  Man, I can almost taste 'em!

There's my status, now I have one for the forum:  up to now, I've used the 3,2,1 method for my ribs and enjoyed moist, tender and tasty results.  What's the consensus among Mod 3 owners?  Foil or no foil?  After much reading, I'm given to understand these units are highly efficient and hold moisture very well.  Can I get some current feedback on this?  With guidance being to avoid opening the unit once the cook cycle is underway, I'm curious to hear about your tenderness results.

Thanks again for the awesome welcome, I look forward to hearing from you!

NDKoze: Particular thanks to you for specifically mentioning your cold weather performance.  This was a major factor in my purchase decision.  I look forward to duplicating your results.

Dan
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
Hey Dan, a couple of things.  First, you don't need to foil anything for the seasoning.  Just put about 3 dowels in the box, set to 250 and let 'er rip!  The only reason to foil the bottom and smoke box lid is for easy cleanup after cooking (drippings). 

As for the "foil/no foil" question:  I can't speak for model 3 owners, but I can certainly speak for my own experience with models 1 & 2; don't bother with foil.  What you will learn about these smokers is that you have to break the ways of the past, and re-learn some things!  I tried the "traditional" methods early-on, until I figured it out.  What I "figured-out" was that the traditional methods weren't necessary!  By using a water pan, and keeping the door CLOSED the entire cook, I produced better results than any other attempts!  The smokers hold moisture well, and not foiling makes the bark SO much better!  I'm a Southerner, and I like chewy bark! :P

Don't take my word for it...try it for yourself!  Re-learning new techniques is part of the fun!  The great thing about these "set it and forget it" smokers is you can spend time focusing on the food prep, not the process!  Foiling releases moisture when you open the door, and makes the bark soft!  Don't make it harder than it needs to be!

Of course, that's just my opinion!  Bet you'll get some more! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
I agree with Tony, no foil.  Also, that brisket cooks real nice even without a PID.  Brisket never really cranked my motor until I did one in my#2.  By far, the best I have ever eaten.  I am in chilly Minnesota now dreaming of returning down south to put another brisket in the SI2.  Make sure whatever you cook, focus your attention on the prep (injecting, brineing, binder, rub, rest or whatever you choose) the cooking is definitely the easy part.

Good luck & welcome!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
I did three good sized St Louis Cut ribs on Sunday. I had to crank it to 240 to get the swings where I thought they were averaging 225 or so.

I did the 5 hour no peaky method with a foil mini loaf pan filled with apple cider next to the smoker box. I let them go for another hour, but I think it is pretty typical for baby backs to go for five and spares to go for six.

They had a very nice chewy and flavorful bark. I tried cutting them with a knife, but they just pulled apart as the knife tried to go through the bark. No chewing the meat off the ribs on these babies. ;)

So, I would agree with the others, if you like a soft exterior, go with a 2-2-1 or 3-2-1. But if you like a little chewy on the outside, do the no peak. Maybe experiment with both ways. I just really like the set it and forget it aspect. Same with the pork butt I cooked. So awesome to go to bed and know that the results the next day will be awesome.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:14 PM »
Hello and welcome.  There is much to be learned on these forums.

It is nice to learn from others good fortune. At times from their misfortune too.

Good luck.

Smoke em if you got em.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DHurd

No foil for me!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »
Thanks for the many great replies, I'll smoke my first racks sans foil.

The seasoning smoke has about two hours left.  If I can get back from Costco before noon, I could have some ribs on the table tonight!  Oh man!  Gotta go!   ;D

Dan
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
Good luck, Dan!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DHurd

Another #3 in Virginia...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Oh well, things domino-ed and Costco never happened.  Tomorrow, tomorrow...

But #3 is ready.

Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Things work out for a reason, Dan!  You would have been starting with a hot smoker.  Always best to start with cold meat in a cold smoker.  You'll get the best smoke penetration and results that way!  The smoking gods were looking out for you! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DHurd

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
Here's what I learned:

6 racks, St.Louis trim
225 degrees
12oz dark beer
47 degrees rising to 63 for the daytime high and in my garage
2 sticks of hickory

Using a brand new mod3 without a PID, this smoke took 11.5 hours.  Seems a bit long to me.

Any thoughts?
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
Dan, that does seem a bit long.  But, 6 racks is a pretty good meat load.  I usually cook 2 racks of spares for 5 - 5 1/2 hours @ 240, no peeking or wrapping.  3 racks of baby backs go 5.5 - 6 hours.  How did you test for "doneness," and what were the results?  Were the ribs tender and juicy, too dry, what?  Also, what was your prep, and did you start with cold ribs in a cold smoker?  The more details, the better.  Recreate your smoke for us, and we'll be able to help you better.
Tony from NW Arkansas