Author Topic: "Top Secret" Leaked!! New "Prototype" Electronic Smokin-It Model 2!  (Read 37422 times)

es1025

Re: "Top Secret" Leaked!! New "Prototype" Electronic Smokin-It Model 2!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 07:52:59 PM »
Has Steve or Ben thought about a retrofit/bypass for the existing smokin-it smokers?  Or is the retro-fit/bypass an auber?

It looks real nice.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
I'm sure they have, Ed, but we have to get it right and in production first.  Wouldn't be a hard retrofit.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
Testing has stalled until this weekend. :(   Were having an unusually cold snap for the next day or two (I know, Wik, nothing like you, though;), and I'm on the downhill side of a nasty head cold.  Haven't felt like standing in the cold wind the last couple of days!

I plan a smoke on Saturday to test under "operational" conditions!  Any suggestions?  I'm considering a brisket, or a couple of chickens...not sure.  What do you guys think would be a "fitting" first smoke for a brand-spanking-new model??
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
My 6 year old son votes for pork butt.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
I like the way that boy thinks, Steve!  I did pulled pork last week...may need to go a different direction this time.  But let him know, it's most likely what's for dinner next weekend! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
Baby backs on an upper rack and split whole chicken (or game hens) on the lower rack.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
Oooh... ribs and chicken?  That's one to consider, Dave!  Bet the rib drippings on the chicken would be pretty good!
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
Mmmmmm, drippin's.  Upper basting the lower.  Waste not want not!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
The first "real-world" operational test of the electronic took place Saturday - actually smoking meat!!  3 racks of baby back ribs (10.5 lbs).  The results were perfect Smokin-It ribs, even though I documented some interesting temperature swings and characteristics!  Check out the cook here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1388.0

More testing to come!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »
I am glad to hear that they are working on a digital controller. I wish I had a timeframe for when they may be ready for orders. I am ready to pull the trigger on a #3, but the thought of having a digital verses analog controller makes me want to wait. I am not in a huge hurry to purchase as it is freezing cold here in ND and I most likely won't be smoking until the weather gets a little nicer.

I know this is prototype and a lot of testing still probably has to go on. But is there any rough estimate at all as to when these digital models could be ready for orders? If it is within 6 months, I would probably wait. But if we are looking at more like a year, I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Thanks for any rough estimate you could provide (Don't worry I wouldn't hold ya to it :) ).
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
We should have a better idea by the end of the month.  Several changes in the works, so no release estimate available yet.  We'll definitely keep everyone updated on the progress as we know!
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
There are a lot of folks plugging along cranking out great chow with the smokers as is.  And there is the option for the Auber, which being separate from the unit allows one to modify the smoker and switch between analog and digital. Sort of the best of both worlds. For the present.  But I can understand wanting to know the what and when and how much.

It will be interesting to see the final product and the pricing. But accuracy of the temperature control is paramount, and getting there may take some time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »
I agree Sarge, and for all I know, I may be very happy with just the Analog controller.

My thought is that if this comes in as less than a $100 upcharge, I would probably rather have it. If it is more than $100, I will probably just go with the analog model and see if I need the Auber or not afterward.

But, I would just like to have the option I guess.

I am going to be keenly following the results of the testing. Regardless of the outcome, it will be interesting.

Koze
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
Dave is absolutely right - lots of good Q going on with the analog!  I attempted to smoke a 7.43 lb brined Boston butt yesterday, and the results were disastrous.  The new electronic controller didn't like the cold snowy weather here yesterday, and temps were swinging wildly.  Even set at 250, the box temp was barely over 200, and briefly maxed-out at around 230.  I wish I had been using my analog #1 in those conditions.  I'd say I was averaging around 205.  Since I didn't want to take 20 hours to cook a <8 lb butt, I pulled it at 170 and sliced.  Good, but not pulled pork.

Until we work something out on the controller, I probably won't be smoking any more meat with the present controller.  More testing will continue as changes are made.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Dave is absolutely right - lots of good Q going on with the analog!  I attempted to smoke a 7.43 lb brined Boston butt yesterday, and the results were disastrous.  The new electronic controller didn't like the cold snowy weather here yesterday, and temps were swinging wildly.  Even set at 250, the box temp was barely over 200, and briefly maxed-out at around 230.  I wish I had been using my analog #1 in those conditions.  I'd say I was averaging around 205.  Since I didn't want to take 20 hours to cook a <8 lb butt, I pulled it at 170 and sliced.  Good, but not pulled pork.

Until we work something out on the controller, I probably won't be smoking any more meat with the present controller.  More testing will continue as changes are made.

Do you think the #1 would have faired better? From reading the other threads regarding smokers not coming to max temperature, I question whether it would have faired any better although you know your particular #1's capabilities and maybe it would have been fine.

Truth be told, the problem with not being able to get to max temp is a much bigger deal to me than the temp swings. I think I could live with the 40 degree swings if the average was still at what I had set the smoker dial to. But from many of the threads here, it seems that the analog smoker as well as the prototype (appears to have the same issue) have a hard time getting to the max 250 degree temperature.

I am fine with the max temp of 250 too (especially since most smokes would be at 225 or lower) as long as we could successfully average 250 with the swings.

I know it is early in the prototype testing. So, hopefully they'll be able to fix this issue.
Gregg - Fargo, ND