Author Topic: New #2 Owner from PA  (Read 2373 times)

dshannon

New #2 Owner from PA
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
27 yr old from central PA looking to make some good food. Just received my #2 smoker yesterday and am excited to get it seasoned tonight, if it stops raining.

What is a good first meal to make? I believe it came with dowels of hickory smoke.

How much does each dowel weight? For seasoning, do i cut them in half or just throw um in? (i have read on here that cutting helps it smoke better or something)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New #2 Owner from PA
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
Welcome to the group, dshannon!   I purchased a #2 early last year and have been very pleased with each and every smoke.    For the seasoning session, use two dowels of the hickory...you can split them if you want, but it should not be necessary.   You should have received instructions about the seasoning process, but if not, you can find a PDF of the instructions on the main SI site on the left side of the page.

As for a first smoke, I always recommend something that won't require a lot of time, such as BBQ ribs (about 5 hours) or a whole chicken (about 4 hours).   Some folks recommend a boston butt, but you need a good 12 hours to get to pulled pork.   Lots of good recipes for meat and rubs on this site, so you should find some good ideas in those forum topic areas.

Let us know if you have questions....and enjoy!   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Welcome to the club!  Congrats on a great purchase!  Steve's right - a couple of dowels, 250 for 4 hours.  No need to have the shelves or racks in, or put foil on the bottom.  Whole dowels are fine for seasoning.

If I use the hickory dowels for cooking, I do split them down the middle, and put them in flat-side down.  I find they smoke better, and use all of the wood.

First smoke - let your time available guide you.  If you want "quick," go for ribs or chicken.  If you have a day, do a Boston butt for pulled pork.  A pork loin is also a good, quick smoke - takes 2 1/2-3 hours.  Check out the pork loin recipes under the pork section!

Let us know if we can help!  Most of us here have kind of "been there, done that" with our SI's, so answers are easy to find! 

Many happy smokes!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dshannon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks guys,

I have the instructions but wasnt sure if one of those dowels should be cut. I have not really looked at the inside yet, i just opened it and went back into work. haha

I will have time tonight to season and hopefully smoke something this weekend. I will probably try the pork loin as that doest seem to take much time.

Ialso purchased the cold smoking attachment and the dual thermometer as i have read it is a must.

The wife and i love smoked salmon and cheese so i may try cheese as well as i read that that doesn't take to long.

Thanks again!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
Can't go wrong with pork loin!  Pull it out when internal temp hits 155 - it'll be juicy and tender.  You asked about the weight of the wood:  I weighed a dowel one time, and came up with .64 oz per inch.  For a loin, I use about 2 1/2 oz.  I recommend a small digital scale to weigh your wood.

Good luck with the cheese and salmon!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, especially having the dual therm.  This is critical to knowing when the IT temp of the meat is right.  Also, if you use the probe to measure the temp in the unit, don't be surprised to see temp swings of +/- 15F from your set point (eg, at 225F, the unit may swing internally from 210 to 240F during the smoke).  This is normal, and it will average out at your set temp.

Let's us know how you make out with the loin...good choice!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2