Author Topic: A newbie from Florida's panhandle  (Read 3956 times)

Captn Cook

A newbie from Florida's panhandle
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
Greetings from the 'other' Florida....the Florida panhandle. 

I've had my #1 for about a year now, have had 20+ runs, and I continue to be impressed.  It does a great job on everything...fish, chicken, turkey, pork, ribs, and even sausage.  My wife loves it..."why would anyone want to eat meat any other way" she has often said. 

Next to fishing, cooking is my next best 'hobby'....hence the moniker 'Captn Cook'....as named by the grandkids.

Looking forward to learning from ya'll and maybe from time to time I'll have something to offer.

All the best from Florida's Emerald Coast....aka the 'Redneck Riviera'.

George from the 'Redneck Riviera'...the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida's panhandle

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: A newbie from Florida's panhandle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
Welcome, Captn!  Spent a lot of time in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area when I was in the USAF....great area!  Glad to have you on board!  Since you're not "new" to Smokin-It, it'll be great to hear about your experiences.  We love pictures and recipes, by the way! ;D   After the ice and snow we've had over the last 2 weeks, I sure wish I was in your neck of the woods this Christmas!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
BTW Tony thank you for serving. I really have a high regard to service men and women.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
BTW Tony thank you for serving. I really have a high regard to service men and women.

Thanks Ben!  Best 9 years of my life.  Should have stayed to retirement... I have to go turn on my kicking machine now.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

puddle jumper

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum Capt...
Good to see another fisherman on here, and BBQ'er'''
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Captn Cook

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
Many thanks for the welcomes..... Was 72 here yesterday but the big chill is on the way, just in time for Christmas.

DM....as you know, lots of folks around here associated with the Air Force....good neighbors to be sure. 
PJ....hoping to chase some flounder (around the near-shore wrecks), and bull redfish (in the bay and along the beach) next week after this front gets by us and things settle down.

Expecting a house full (and then some) after Christmas so I've spent the past few days setting some provisions aside to minimize cook-time when they are here.  Friday ran a smoker-full of salmon; Saturday a full-charge of ribs and brats; yesterday about 18# of chicken; and today two pork butts for pulled pork.  We asked the kids and grandkids what were their favorite dinners, and those were their top choices for the smoker.  Of course a fish-fry (with hushpuppies, okra, and sweet potato fries!!) and Louisiana jambalaya were right up there but can't prep them ahead of time.  Hoping for reasonable temps and gentle winds after Christmas or I'm likely to have a mutinous crew of frustrated anglers on my hands.   

Merry Christmas to all.... I enjoyed this video, thought I'd share
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...&vq=medium
George from the 'Redneck Riviera'...the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida's panhandle

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
Man, THAT sounds like a Christmas feast, for sure!  Hope you have a Merry Christmas, too!  Tried to play the video, but the link didn't work.  Might check the full address and re-copy it...I'd love to see it! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Captn Cook

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
DM...sorry about the link.  I'm going to try to copy/paste again and see if it works.  Here goes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Vnt7euRF5Pg&vq=medium

I'm sure I'm pushing my techno limits here, but here is another beautifully-sung piece so meaningful this very day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PmI1yGKvQg

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
Wow, George, that was one of the best "flash mob" videos I've ever seen!  Very well-organized, and meaningful!  Thanks for sharing both the links!
Tony from NW Arkansas