Author Topic: Hello from NE Pennsylvania  (Read 2729 times)

Revica

Hello from NE Pennsylvania
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
     Hello, I'm from Scranton, Pennsylvania and brand spanking new to smoking! I have been toying with the idea of buying a smoker for quite some time, but I could never decide what to buy. I started looking on Amazon recently and stumbled across the Smokin-It #1, which had a 4.9 out of 5 rating from 65 reviews(outstanding). I then ended up on this site reading the posts on the forum, and you guys sold me on it!

That was a couple of weeks ago. After much research and debate, I ordered the Smokin-It #3. I ordered it on Tuesday 11-12-13 at approx. 4:30 pm and I received confirmation of shipment at 8:30 pm the same day(now that's fast!!). FedEx is telling me that it will be delivered on 11-15-13, so needless to say, I'll be smoking this weekend! Oh, I forgot that I also ordered the ET-732 Maverick wireless BBQ thermometer.

Once again, I'm brand new to this, so I'm sure I'll be on here looking for tips, and asking lots of questions. After I season it tomorrow night(assuming it arrives), I want to smoke something Saturday, so I'm looking for suggestions on what to try first. Any help would be appreciated. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and looking forward to joining the many happy Smokin-It owners!
Kevin from Northeast Pennsylvania

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Hello from NE Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
Welcome, Kevin, and congrats on a great decision!  You'll be very pleased with your purchase!  Once you season that bad boy, I suggest starting Saturday with either a Boston butt for pulled pork, or a couple of racks of baby back ribs!  I like the pork butt because a) it's almost foolproof if you smoke @ 225 to an internal temp of 200, and b) it really gives you a chance to see how your unit performs over a long period.  Because butts are so foolproof, you instantly have success on your first smoke! ;D   Use 5.5-6 oz of hickory or hickory/cherry.

Baby back ribs are great too...remove the silver skin (check out some of the rib posts here), slather in yellow mustard & rub, throw them in @ 225, and let them ride for 5 1/2-5 3/4 hours.  "Easy button" BBQ!  Use 2.5 oz of hickory.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:42:39 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
Kevin
Welcome aboard, I have a #3 and could not have been more pleased with my purchase.  I agree with Tony try some baby backs or a nice pork butt (bone-in). You will need to find a nice Costco or BJ's they have some good quality meats.  Add to your list some heavy duty aluminum foil, you will need a lot for the inside of the smoker.  Enjoy! 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Revica

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
     Hey Tony and Ed, thanks for the welcome! Just got home from work and a large box was waiting on my front porch! Going to unpack and begin to season it.

I decided on the pork butt for my first smoke, but I do not have a Cosco or BJ's in my area. I do have a Sams Club, and I stopped by there today. They only had pork butt packed in a twin pack labeled as "Boston Butt and Pork Shoulder" and weighs almost 20lbs. The two pieces look to be just about equal in size, so about 10lbs. a piece.

I saw Ed's post about the brined pork butt for pulled pork and want to try that. So, I have a couple of questions. 1. should I/could I try to smoke both pieces? 2. Ed, I didn't notice or I missed if I should put a pan with apple juice or beer in the bottom of the smoker? 3. If I do smoke that much meat, should I use more than 6 oz. of wood? Any other suggestions or thought on top of that would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Kevin from Northeast Pennsylvania

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
Kevin started a new thread, devoted to the pork butt, here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1079.0

We'll continue that discussion over there, if no one minds! ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:07:58 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
Welcome from Nebraska.  the Model #3 is a great choice.  And you are going to love your Maverick!
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
Welcome to the club Kevin. I have the #3 and absolutely love it.  I'm heading down to Ohio this week from Toronto and plan on picking up some accessories while I am there.  Steve is located about 10 Mia from where I am staying with family. BE WARNED, you will be addicted.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It