Author Topic: Anyone every use Hickory Sawdust?  (Read 2411 times)

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Anyone every use Hickory Sawdust?
« on: October 01, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
So, as I am talking to my parents about the whole family recipe for sausage, my Mom asks me if I am using saw dust.  I have never even heard of that, but apparently that is what they generally have used to smoke their sausage over the years.  For our Smoking-It models, I am not sure how that would even work.  I am curious if anyone has ever tried this? 

I have the wood insert for chips, but I don't think it would work very well for sawdust.  Also, wouldn't the smoker get this sawdust too hot and start a fire?  We are going to smoke at 140 so I think that is pretty warm to have sawdust that close to the heating coil. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Anyone every use Hickory Sawdust?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:03:54 PM »
I use Hickory Saw Dust in my Big Chief. But you would NOT want to use it in the Smokin-It.

I would use chips with the chip screen.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Anyone every use Hickory Sawdust?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »
Agree with Gregg - no on the saw dust.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!