Author Topic: Talk me into a 3D-Wifi.... :) New member  (Read 3555 times)

98ramtough

Talk me into a 3D-Wifi.... :) New member
« on: November 02, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
Hello there.  I am new on here and not yet purchased my SI.  I am not new to BBQ or smokers, but obviously new to SI.

I currently have a Weber Genesis, A GMG pellet grill, a Big Steel KEG (egg knockoff), and Big Chief.  I started the search for a new smoker for fish and jerky.  The GMG produces ribs and pulled pork for my taste that is OK, but not like the wood burner I used to use.  Seems like the SI would do great on ribs and pulled pork, but how does it do for smoked salmon and jerky?  I see the jerky fan thing for sale on here also.  The Big Chief works great for jerky and salmon, but I hate how much work and baby sitting it is.  and it is too small.  I  like to do large batches of salmon and its a long process.  24 hour brine, 8 hour dry, then finally hits the smoker.  I'd prefer to do large batches at a time.

Is the drier fan thing necessary for anything other than Jerky?  Anyone have issues with the WIFI or digital?  I need another bbq like I need a hole in the head, but I'm interested...  What's everyones thoughts?
Washington

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Talk me into a 3D-Wifi.... :) New member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »
Hard to make a recommendation  They are all good.  Comes down to budget and what features you want.  I don't have the jerky die so cannot comment on that. If I had the funds, I would get a 4.  Here is a short video from one of our members.  Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ri468ZpZg
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mgj2727

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
Hello there.  I am new on here and not yet purchased my SI.  I am not new to BBQ or smokers, but obviously new to SI.

I currently have a Weber Genesis, A GMG pellet grill, a Big Steel KEG (egg knockoff), and Big Chief.  I started the search for a new smoker for fish and jerky.  The GMG produces ribs and pulled pork for my taste that is OK, but not like the wood burner I used to use.  Seems like the SI would do great on ribs and pulled pork, but how does it do for smoked salmon and jerky?  I see the jerky fan thing for sale on here also.  The Big Chief works great for jerky and salmon, but I hate how much work and baby sitting it is.  and it is too small.  I  like to do large batches of salmon and its a long process.  24 hour brine, 8 hour dry, then finally hits the smoker.  I'd prefer to do large batches at a time.

Is the drier fan thing necessary for anything other than Jerky?  Anyone have issues with the WIFI or digital?  I need another bbq like I need a hole in the head, but I'm interested...  What's everyones thoughts?

I'm debating between various 2 and 3 models.  I do like the deeper access with the 3 so that it can hold full rack of ribs (and likely full salmon planks).  On the 3 options, would be nice to have the versatility of going above 250 to 300 along with the more accurate readings with the digital.  And then to have wi-fi would be a plus.  I'm planning to place on top of an outdoor counter, so my biggest question is if It'll be too high for me to fiddle with the digital controls.

ynotsmokeit

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »

I'm debating between various 2 and 3 models.  I do like the deeper access with the 3 so that it can hold full rack of ribs (and likely full salmon planks).  On the 3 options, would be nice to have the versatility of going above 250 to 300 along with the more accurate readings with the digital.  And then to have wi-fi would be a plus.  I'm planning to place on top of an outdoor counter, so my biggest question is if It'll be too high for me to fiddle with the digital controls.

I have the 3D WiFi. Once you get it setup in WiFi, you won’t need to fiddle with the controller on the top.  It takes some work for some systems to connect - my home network does not directly connect, so I have to set up a hotspot on a laptop,then connect by phone to it as a network and enable the 3D as a device through that hotspot.  It sounds complicated, but it wasn’t really that hard.  The key was holding down a couple buttons on the box top controller and it went searching for the connection.

After that each time I smoke, it is a matter of just turning it on after setting up the hotspot on the laptop.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:22:07 AM by ynotsmokeit »

98ramtough

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
Guessing the WIFI does not work on 5GHZ wireless access points.  I think a lot of these bbq controllers are struggling with that.  If you add a wireless access point to your network that will work on 2.4ghz wonder if that would make it so you can connect right to it.
Washington

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
Absolutely, the TP Powerlink TL-WA855RE  will do the trick. Easy setup as well.

Enjoy!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

mgj2727

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »
Guessing the WIFI does not work on 5GHZ wireless access points.  I think a lot of these bbq controllers are struggling with that.  If you add a wireless access point to your network that will work on 2.4ghz wonder if that would make it so you can connect right to it.

Does anyone have the specs for the wifi that it'll work on?  i've got Google Mesh in my house and have Sonos outdoors, so it should connect to that easily.  Thoughts?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
Here is the manual from the website, under for the customer tab:
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SIWIFIManual.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle